• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P35 vs 680i ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sprtn

Registered
right so i have a MSI P35 NEO2 collecting dusts because it does not work with my 4 gigs or ram for some reason... so i got a 680i

now i have had no problems so far with the 680i and theres a lot of talk about the P35 chipset (good talk) so is it worth it to try and make the P35 board work till i get a new video card..

i guess my question is is there a "BIG" diffrence between the MSI p35neo2 and the XFX 680i..

i hear my overclocking my take a hit on the 680i but with a quad im not to botherd about that..

thanks for any info that you guys can give :D

The advantage of 680i over P35 are the following
- RAM speed is unlocked from FSB (giving ability to run RAM slower than 1:1 with FSB)
- SLI

true so when i stick another card in for SLI it would preform better then the P35 ?? (in games)

the only advantage of 680i is SLI

they do 1600fsb pretty easy with a dual core, unless you really want SLI stay away from nvidia mobos.

I was very worried about getting the 680i. I took a leap and got one. So far, I am doing decent with OC'ing my Q6600 on it. I am not quite stable at 3.2GHz yet, but almost. It almost seems like its a hit-or-miss with them.

Highest stable with my E6550 was 475. Anything more, and the board will flip out; the returns are pretty dismal too.

The G0 stepping q6600s are capable of 3.6ghz stable on air with a 680i. Ive had an e6600 at 3.6ghz, 1600fsb stable before with them too. Excellent overclocking boards, they just need a few TIM adjustments before Id trust a severe overclock on them (nb, sb, mosfets). Also, sli is an awesome benefit despite the fact that its still an imperfect science. Basically you wont double performance, but maybe see a 70% increase when both lanes are at x16 speed.

well thanks for all the info :D im getting a new CPU heatsink within the next few days to see how the over clocking works.. im running 57 deg on my q6600 under load and about 48-49 at idle.. saw my ram was getting a little hot 2 so guna get a fan for that.

the system temp is at 30 :D

thanks again guys

Back