• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for 45nm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swoyekr.

Registered
I've been sold on my e6750/gigabyte DS3L combo after combing reviews and specs for a few weeks. Now i've jumped up to an E8400 and would like to find the best motherboard for it. If the P35 chipset is good enough i'll stick with the DS3L but if you think there's more potential in the X38 or up comming X48 just let me know. Post Away, thanks!

[ Building for Gaming, and 3-d modeling programs, part specs are in sig ]

P35 is the best overclocking as of now. X38 is expensive...X48 is ridiculous.

The only real difference between P38 and X38 is the X38 can do dual 8x crossfire.

If you don't need it for that, there is no reason to get the X38/X48.

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D

Thank you. I don't want to run crossfire or SLI, I just want a solid good configured motherboard, even if the chipset is useless, the layout may be faster/more stable i'd think.

I need firewire, at least 4 sata ports and I'd like a nice cooling design such as the p5E, but that sorta limits your ability to put a nice cpu cooler in.

I need firewire, at least 4 sata ports and I'd like a nice cooling design such as the p5E, but that sorta limits your ability to put a nice cpu cooler in.
I don't see how that would limit the CPU cooler....

I don't see how that would limit the CPU cooler....

I suppose I should have been more clear. The p5E specifically seems to have a rather Large heat sink, which i Like, however, that specifically limits your ability to mount some coolers i've read. I want to run a Thermalright 120 extreme though. :)

P35 is the best overclocking as of now. X38 is expensive...X48 is ridiculous.

The only real difference between P38 and X38 is the X38 can do dual 8x crossfire.

If you don't need it for that, there is no reason to get the X38/X48.

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D

hmm you sure that X38 is 8x/8x? everthing i have seen states 16x/16x for cf. then asus has those ROG p35 boards with 8x/8x on p35 with the Cross-x link.

the only other chipset to watch out for is the P45 that is due out in Q2-08. i dont think its gonna be much better then P35. from what i can gather P45 is just a updated P35 to add PCIE 2.0 spec. still havent read if they are actually gonna make it 8x/8x or keep it at 16x/4x like p35...

well 2.0 updates PCIE to be able to have a 32x slot. in speaking of current video cards, they currently dont need anything past PCIE 8x, which oddly enough is the same as AGP 8x. for a CF or SLI setup 8x/8x is more then enough in alot of cases. with 16x/16 they do show gains but its not that much over 8x/8x.

so i'd be just as good with a Gigabyte DS3L over an ASUS P5E for my setup.. Maybe the Asus would cool alot better with its heat spreader arrangement, plus i'll be an air system and not planning on water anytime soon.

well considering your sig shows a 8800GTS there is no need to worry about the second slot. since NV wont let SLI happen on intel chipset boards.... either will do, the P35-DS3L is a better bang per dollar board...

yea I know sli wont work, even if it has crossfire i'm not concerned. I just want a good quality board. I'm leaning towards the asus p5e or the DS3L

P5E isnt worth the extra money when the P35-DS3L can match it or pass it in fsb ocing.. x38 is ocing the same as p35..

Does the p35-DS3L cool well? And i'm assuming with a bios update it'll support my wolfdale? Thanks!

After christmas I was gonna get an E8400 but it turns out i'll have nowhere near the budget for it so I dropped 89$ on the P35-DS3-L.

I am kind of a hardcore college student and I load up on as many classes as I can so I don't have much money or time.

I came to the conclusion that my board will never really support the 45nm quads so instead of getting an E8400, I should get a good bang for buck board that will so I can get a good 45nm quad down the road.

I love having an updated system and stuff but I am usually pushing the mobo FSB and CPU more on my setup than anything else becuse that's really the best budget solution.

I'm kind of turned off by the nvidia chipsets, they don't seem to offer that much performance anymore, the 780i is just a revision of the 680i i allowing for tripple sli (woohoo) and some other small things, for the price, i'd rather get the intel chipset which seems to be getting the best oc and frontside bus numbers.

Brakezone: What do you mean "fully" support, you're saying that the support for the 45nm chips isn't a full version or?

What I am referring to is that Asus has said that P5N-E SLI will support 45nm duel cores but not quad cores. I'm saying I bought a Gigabyte P35-DS3-L instead of an E8400 because i'd rather wait a little on the cpu and get a good quad down the road.

Brakezone: What do you mean "fully" support, you're saying that the support for the 45nm chips isn't a full version or?
The dual cores are supported, but the quads are NOT. That is the exact reason I sold my 3 month old 680i and moved to a P5K Premium ;)

I guess that's something I need to debate then. Is the p5k-e Comparable? I don't need the wifi really and i'd consider the premium since it's supposed to fix any problems with the deluxe etc., so i've read.

The dual cores are supported, but the quads are NOT. That is the exact reason I sold my 3 month old 680i and moved to a P5K Premium ;)

Yep, P5K Premium will support ALL the upcoming 45nm duals and quads, at least any released in the next year... The Premium has the beefy VRM and cooling to support any processor OCed heavily....

Back