• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To spread or not to spread..... LOL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spbeyond

Registered
Hey I always thought you were supposed to spread the thermal compound out into a really thin layer but if you go to the instructions on Artic Silvers website it says not to spread it, but to apply a line of Thermal paste and then install the heatsink. So which is the better method?

IMO, theoretically, having it in the middle and letting the hs spread it out should be best to avoid air pockets. Practically speaking, I think everyone can tell you a story about which is best and benchmarks that have been run and how the earth is thus flat, try it one way and if you don't get good temps, reseat the other way. I know of people that do both, but don't swear it is the best, just what they like to do.

Soooo.... Its all personal opinion? Okay, I think I'll spread so Im sure that its covering everywhere. :) Thanks

Soooo.... Its all personal opinion? Okay, I think I'll spread so Im sure that its covering everywhere. :) Thanks
Well, more like each person does it differently. The dot in the center is the easiest...never had a bad mount with it.

If you have an exposed core, spreading is the best ;)

I've done it two ways, one is to just have experience(more or less personal preference) in applying thermal paste and figure out how much is going to be enough, or put alittle more then a pea size on the cpu, put the heatsink on it, and twist the heatsink around to spread all the compound. If you do it right then your heatsink will sort of vacuum seal to the cpu chip.

Just the way I like to.

Dab in the center, or a small "line" across the middle.

The thick goey TIMs like AS and AC are actually pretty darn good at sticking sinks to things if you use the little dab and press down hard method. I use AC done this way to attach sinks to ram and mosfets.

imo... I think everyone have their own little ritual for putting on thermal compound. I like to do alittle of both. I would put the compound on, and smooth it out with my finger. Then i would do alittle bit of what Proto do, with the twist. If i have enough room i would make small circles. I found this was the best.

imo... I think everyone have their own little ritual for putting on thermal compound. I like to do alittle of both. I would put the compound on, and smooth it out with my finger. Then i would do alittle bit of what Proto do, with the twist. If i have enough room i would make small circles. I found this was the best.
Except you don't want to touch the paste directly. That will contaminate it and cause it to perform worse. ;)

Except you don't want to touch the paste directly. That will contaminate it and cause it to perform worse. ;)
Agreed! Use a clean baggie or unpowdered rubber glove over your finger. I like to use a strip from an expired CC - stiff enough to work well and can be angled to aid application in some areas ...

For single's and duals i allways used a small little ball in the middle and let the heatsink/waterblock spred it. For my quad i did a line down the middle and let the heatsink/waterblock spred it.

Back