• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

simply put which is better to do?

Pump -> Dual 120 Rad -> CPU (along the way is one 'T' for the Res)-> Single 120 Rad -> GPU -> 'T' -> Branch 1 -> Mobo (NB/SB) -> 'T' which goes to the pump again
Branch 2 -> 'T' which goes to the pump again

or

Pump > dual rad > cpu > 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor > n/b > 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor > single rad > gpu >res >pump

i'm asking for a friend as i'm not sure which is the better route. i say the second one since parallel will give more flow to the gpu and little to none for the n/b.

here are pictures of the way he has it (first loop mentioned)

thanks.

Don't T off anything in my book. Except the fill T and if wanted a drain T. T'ing any block from what I hear is bad. It won't change the overall water temp one bit and could be pulling less heat from some of the blocks than it could. Those Ts are also reducing flow rates.

First, thank you Spawn for creating a thread for my dilemma! I completely forgot about OCforums, this is a great place to bring it! (I just registered now as you can see :))

So yeah, I'm running on an ASUS watercooled motherboard, there are a few out there, this one comes with built in barbs for 3/8" flow. My system is 1/2", so no matter what I do, series or parallel, I will have to adjust down to that barb size.

I'm going to do a bit of copy/pasting now:

Here's my explanation for the split, and 'T's:
Originally I did look into 'F's and Y's, but I couldn't find any Y's that went from 1/2" to dual 3/8"s, and like you already mentioned the F's are useless unless it's specifically for swiftech stuff.

Second, I did a little math work. A single 1/2" diameter tube has an area of:
(1/2")/2 = 1/4 this is the radius
(1/4)^2*pi = area
area = .196

Dual 3/8" tubes have a TOTAL area of:
(3/8")/2 = 3/16 this is the radius of ONE tube
(3/16)^2*pi = area of ONE = .110
area * 2 = area of both
area of both = .220

.220/.196 is roughly 12%, which means that having 1/2" to dual 3/8" tubes drops the pressure/speed by 12%. They are so close to being the same.

Next, the motherboard tubes look very small, definitely not 3/8" tubes, they're tiny metal pipes. If the pressure is too high going in there, which I have heard high flow systems have had, the tubes could just pop off and I would be left with a destroyed computer. So basically what I did was I made an "offramp" for excess water. I'm not too concerned with the NB/SB since it cant cool itself normally without watercooling, so the watercooling is just a bonus. Also, the outflow from the 'T' where the two 3/8" tubes reconnect give the 1/2" no pressure differences, allowing for the whole system to be unaffected by the motherboard loop. (also the motherboard hose connectors are so close together that I can't use real clamps, I have to trust ASUS with they're ones.)

So basically, the mobo is already fine without watercooling, I cranked the fans up to the max (I only have 3 120's on it right now, all of which are on the radiators, 2 front 1 back, so nothing directly on chips atm) and here are the temps:

CPU: 25C
NB/SB: 36C
GPU: 33C
HD(s): 32C

Nothing ever goes over 40C when the fans are on max or even low, both under load and idle. The only time I really see higher temps is when I turn all of the fans off.

What do you think?

What I may do is put a 120mm fan on the door of my case, just for some of my heatsinks, GPU (heatsinks to be added soon), and motherboard in it's entirety.

I haven't OC'ed yet, but am anxious to test the full potential!

Oh and ALSO, if I decide to take out the parallel, I can just cap off the 'T's appropriately to turn them into straight diameter adjusters.

+1 for series unless you've got a really weak pump.

If you've got a good pump and have to use 3/8" barbs on the NB then put a 3/8" barb on the outlet of the block before the NB and try to make it the last block ...

You got it!

If you have an extra 3/8" barb you might want to put it on the GPU outlet. That's slightly more efficient than putting a reducer in-line ...

You got it!

If you have an extra 3/8" barb you might want to put it on the GPU outlet. That's slightly more efficient than putting a reducer in-line ...

OOo good thinking, I do, this is perfect! With the left over leg from the 'T' after the NB I can put in a lower drain too.. :bday:

Back