• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple Abit IP35 question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

I've noticed a standard 4-pin molex connector on the motherboard just below the heatpipe which connects the NB and mosfets. It's labeled ATX4P1 and the manual states that it provides extra power to devices using the PCI express slots. The only two expansion slots I'm using are the PCI EXpress x-16 for the video card (an 8800 GTS, which already has its own power connector attached) and a PCI slot for the sound card. Is it necessary for me to plug a molex into this connector?

I have never connected that 4 pin, even when running 2 cards and have never had a problem....

If you were running video cards that surpass the PCIEslot + PCIE power plug, recommendations. it can help stability... you really gotta overclock hard to need it though IMHO

1 GTS no

2GTX yes especially if clocked.

What do have the IP35 -E / IP35 or the IP35 Pro? Not that it matters but all three have that connector .I have yet to hook mine up.Now on my DFI 965-S i had it hooked up but it didnt help anything

it there for if any one card isnt getting enought power. in the case that say a GPU saps all the power from the PCIE thru the standard plugs. thus adding the 4pin for enough added amps for feeding the PCIE 1x slots if they are not working..

If it's stable then you can leave it alone. Unless you're having problems then try plugging to see if it helps.

Well, I've got the IP35 (not the E or Pro). I'm still waiting to get my water cooling system installed into the case, so I haven't been able to OC it at all yet. Once I get it OC'd, I guess if I have any video stability issues I'll try plugging it in. For now I'm just going to leave it alone.

Thanks for the tips.

Haven't plugged it in in four builds with boards that had that plugged and experienced no issues. You can't run crossfire on the IP35 anyway and I don't think any single card will really require that exclusive plug even overclocked.

The standard advice on the abit forums is to "think like a man"...if there's a hole, plug it in. ;)

Ive never used it, used it on my old 680i board with SLI and also unplugged it and it didnt make a difference.

Back