• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any Intel SLI hack ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frankkesel

Hi guys

I am waiting for the Q9450 patiently

My biggest concern is the board ...

As a intel fan, i was wondering is there any hack / patch / custom firmware to make a intel chipset compatible whit SLI

thanks you , cheers :eh?:

I'm fairly sure I know the answer.

But I'm not sure we can discuss that here.

I'm fairly sure I know the answer.

But I'm not sure we can discuss that here.

Since when is custom firmware or BIOS updates illegal or against forum rules? It's not like he wants to hack BluRay's encryption to make HD videos to sell.

We've discussed BIOS updates here all the time in the name of extending the functionality of our hardware. Heck, that's what this forum is about.

We unlock CPUs, we enable extra shaders on video cards, we update mobos' BIOS in order to open up more raid options. It seems to me that finding a way to get an Intel chipset to run SLI on a board that would otherwise be CrossFire only would be perfectly legitimate.

Intel may consider such a 'fix' "unauthorized," and it may even void their warrantee. But isn't it still up to the owner to decide how he/she wants to use his/her own hardware?

Since when is custom firmware or BIOS updates illegal or against forum rules? It's not like he wants to hack BluRay's encryption to make HD videos to sell.

We've discussed BIOS updates here all the time in the name of extending the functionality of our hardware. Heck, that's what this forum is about.

We unlock CPUs, we enable extra shaders on video cards, we update mobos' BIOS in order to open up more raid options. It seems to me that finding a way to get an Intel chipset to run SLI on a board that would otherwise be CrossFire only would be perfectly legitimate.

Intel may consider such a 'fix' "unauthorized," and it may even void their warrantee. But isn't it still up to the owner to decide how he/she wants to use his/her own hardware?
I'm still not going there. I will talk with a mod though, as I do want to know if we can discuss it.

I'll say it -- there is a driver hack for 7xxx series cards, but not for any higher hardware models. As such, unless you're wanting to piece together a whopper ofa 7950GX2 rig, you're stuck with an NV 790i chipset.

I can see both sides of the argument here, will need to get some feedback from other greenies.

OMY lol i did not want to start a polymic .

but still looking foward... will accept the decission of greenies

well for one its not a bios or firmware hack.... its modded drivers, bigsam at XS let some loose for the 7 series. he prolly has working ones for the 8 series but dont know for sure.

i will be honast i dont see the problem. we have talked about this kinda thing in the past in the NV section. it just like if we took a soldering iron to the videocards or motherboards. thats not forbidden here? why would modding drivers? there are NV drivers being modded weekly if not daily.

if all else fails and you really want sli on your intel setup get a SKULLTRAIL board... thats gonna be the most $$ way though.

It's because nVidia has a legal binding license againt Intel chipsets running SLi, I don't know if US breaking it breaks the license or not I'd guess not though... There's drivers for the 7 series on the 975x chipset, thats it.

wow i must say some of you guys try to suck up to the mods way to much... you guys afraid to say something even slightly wrong... jezus crist.

Theres no hack or crack or anything, its nvidias drivers that allow sli or not, sli can theroriticaly be ran on any motherboard with 2 pcie 16x slots, its just nvidia only allows it on their chipsets through their drivers. You can get modded drivers just head over to XS but i think the last moded drivers were in the 8x.xx drivers which was LONG before the 8800's

If you want sli on an intel platform ur gonna have to go with an nvidia chipset mobo.

wow i must say some of you guys try to suck up to the mods way to much... you guys afraid to say something even slightly wrong... jezus crist.
I really hope that was not directed towards me.

Theres no hack or crack or anything, its nvidias drivers that allow sli or not, sli can theroriticaly be ran on any motherboard with 2 pcie 16x slots, its just nvidia only allows it on their chipsets through their drivers. You can get modded drivers just head over to XS but i think the last moded drivers were in the 8x.xx drivers which was LONG before the 8800's
Yes, but there are ways around it, that IS a hack...which in the forum rules, says they are not allowed. Sorry for trying to avoid issues and actively looking to solve them :rolleyes:

Hacking in MMORPG's would not be allowed here, yes? :eh?:

Hacking is more of a general term and can be used like I have above, where it would not be allowed.

For that exact reason, I PM'd a mod to find out if it is acceptable. I don't take chances like that ;)

If you want sli on an intel platform ur gonna have to go with an nvidia chipset mobo.

Reading your deleted post, this one was probably a little nicer, but not too much.

Like I said, I can see both sides of the argument here. While we would certainly not host a hack like the one discussed here, seems like it's no different than using a special BIOS for a mobo or video card, especially if that BIOS is not manufacturer approved.

Might it void your warranty? Possibly. But as far as being against forum guidelines, I think this is ok.

And as far as the quote above, if I see anything like this again, then I won't ever have to read any more of your posts.

Many thanks to the heads-up on this to make certain it is acceptable per forum guidelines! :D

Thank you cw823 ;)

That being said, yes, there are modified (hacked) drivers you can get that will either enable SLi through the chipset (drivers/bios) or through modified nVidia drivers.

Back