• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get my IP35 Pro/6600 system to 3.0ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpic

Just built this system. I've always just gone with Intel boards and didn't worry about overclocking. However, I'd just like to get this these 4 cores back up to 3.0 gigs where my old P4 had been with just one core. I've read a great deal, and most overclockers think this combination should easily get to 3000 by just upping the FSB to 333. I can only get it to 310 with no increase in voltages. Above 310, it simply will not post.

I've tried bumping my memory timing to 1.85 (from 1.8), and raising the MCH to 1.29v. It still will not get to 320 FSB. So, I tried bumping up the CPU voltage. With these settings, I've tried bumping my CPU voltage to 1.285, and the system will not post.

There are so many different voltage settings, I don't know the best order to bump them up--and by how much to raise them. Also, I understand some cpu's overclock better than others, so maybe I'm maxing out. Before I totally mess this up, I thought I'd better ask for help.

Thanks!

sounds like you need to change the ram ratio... cause you might be ocing your ram to a speed it cant do. try the 333fsb with the 1:1.2 ratio for the ram for starters... you didnt bump the memory timings you upped the dimm voltage. set it to what ever spec is then find the section where the memory timings are and set them manually.

Set your ram to 1:1 at 400fsb and 8 multiplier(3.2ghz), CPU volts to 1.35V, the rest voltage default. Should boot right up I bet.

Make your ram slow on purpose when you start overclocking your CPU, when you're done OC'ing your CPU then go back and make your ram faster / tighter timings etc.

Thanks! I'll give all suggestions a go and report back!:):thup:

Here's the update. I used advice from all three posts. I upped the CPU voltage to 1.355. I was then able to get the FSB up to 376 with a multiplier of 8 for 3.008ghz. I have to keep the ram timings at 1:1 or Prime95 will have errors after an hour of so. Right now, I've been running Prime95 for a few hours with no errors.

I happy where I'm at, but if I want to increase my speed where should I go next?

Thanks!

increase the FSB slowly then stress the cpu in windows... i dont think you will get much to ddr2-900 on that ram, give it a go though..did you download coretemp and run that with prime95? im not sure if the 9500 can handle the high TDP of a oced quad.

if you want a 4ghz with out problems then you might want to switch to a E8400, i know it a dual core. its looking like i was right that 4.2-4.4ghz is gonna be the norm for 24/7 ocs...

Here's the update. I used advice from all three posts. I upped the CPU voltage to 1.355. I was then able to get the FSB up to 376 with a multiplier of 8 for 3.008ghz. I have to keep the ram timings at 1:1 or Prime95 will have errors after an hour of so. Right now, I've been running Prime95 for a few hours with no errors.

I happy where I'm at, but if I want to increase my speed where should I go next?

Thanks!
Well you're on your way. :thup: One thing I failed to notice was the amount of memory sticks you're using. It can be tough sometimes with 4 sticks to behave together in overclocking, but you should be able to do 400FSB(stock speed) with that RAM. You could also pull two of them out, and/or test with different pairs. One stick could be a problem child as well.

Good thread. I am hoping to have a q6600 within the next month or so. This info will come in handy :soda:

Back