• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mobo for 1st time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krishcanag

Hi there

I am hoping someone can give me some advice as to which of the foloowing 3 mobo's is best suited for a first time builder. I am looking for a mobo that is reliable, easy to setup for someone without any detailed knowldege of BIOS. Overclocking is not a consideration!!

a. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
b. Asus P5K Premium WiFi
c. Abit IP35 Pro

Rest of system:

Centurian 534 RC Case
Corsair HX620 PSU
E6750 or Q6600 (leaning towards E6750)
Zalman CNP5900A-LED-IRD cooler
Corsair 2G DD2 800M memory
Samsung spinpoint 500G 16M HDD
XFX 8800GT 512M or EVGA 8800GT 512M graphics card
XP Pro

regards

krishan

i'm using the IP35Pro for my first solo build (no help, except from the forum) and have had no problems so far. very straight-forward layout, install, and setup.

i'm using the IP35Pro for my first solo build (no help, except from the forum) and have had no problems so far. very straight-forward layout, install, and setup.

What are the things if any to be aware of that might be missed by a first time builder

krishan

What are the things if any to be aware of that might be missed by a first time builder

krishan

jumpers. check your manual. know where they are and what to do in case you happen to need them. i got so nervous when this beast hit that wall. i was 100% sure i needed a new mobo.

EDIT: ......welcome! :beer:

if you haven't purchased a PSU yet, get one with a 8-pin CPU connector. also, people say that you don't have to hook up the additional molex connector to feed more power to the graphics card if you don't plan on overclocking it...i say hook it up anyways. other than that, read the manual, its pretty descriptive.

another reason i like the Abit board is because of the CMOS quick reset switch on the back panel...no fiddling with jumpers when you get a little overzealous with the overclocking.

I built 3 Abit IP35 Pro systems which all have booted up on first push of the button, so I've had good luck with them. My P5K took a little work with the same memory on my personal system, but was still a good board. Either way, a vote for Abit.

I know from experience Abit IP35PRO was easy to work with, it was intuitive and had no problems booting up. Used it for my first build and it's also a great overclocker, so now that I know more of what I'm doing I can crank up my system.

I can't say anything bad about the others you have listed, I don't have personal experience with those.

Back