• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my P5K Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
I just got my P5K Premium in along with my 8800GTS (512mb ) card and would like to ask a few questions. I will be using my E6850 cpu until the Q9550 comes out. So should I install the drivers from the disk or should I download them from Asus ? Also upon set up I will be running 4 gigs of Corsair XMS PC6400.Would it be best to install just two gigs and set my timings and voltages or install all 4gigs.Does any one have some bios settings that I might go by? Thanks for any help you might give me.

Grats on the new build man.

Install the drivers from the Asus website. They are the most up to date.

What OS are you using? If its not a 64bit os, you really arnt gaining any advantage with 4gb over 2gb RAM.

What is the purpose of this computer? By the looks of the videocard Id assume gaming?

As far as BIOS settings, check this thread out, but I recommend that you start to play around with it yourself. If you hit a specific snag, its easier to give advice rather than just give generalities on Asus BIOS. Also doing a google P5K overclock is a good idea, as well as the Asus support forums are good places to start.

Good luck :D

Yeah my new rig is mainly for gaming and I am running Vista 64bit so the 4 gigs does help. I have a question . I want to update my bios but it's to big to go on a floppy disk, is there another way besides through Asus update because I hear it causes some problems.

NEVER....NEVER update any BIOS though a windows application.

Thats just asking for trouble.

Use a usb drive. It will be easier due to no size limitations as well as be about 50X faster than a floppy.

Okay here's a dumb question . Do I just put the bios on the jump drive and use EZ-Flash or do I need to do any other process?

Okay here's a dumb question . Do I just put the bios on the jump drive and use EZ-Flash or do I need to do any other process?

Just put the BIOS (unzipped) in the main area of the USB drive.

Thats it :D

Then just go to Asus EZ-Flash (either Alt+F2 at POST screen or go their directly through the BIOS) and direct EZ-Flash to look for the BIOS in your USB drive. Usually a weird letter like G:, H:, F: or something similar.

Got it no problem . Thanks for the help. I can't believe how much better my system is now that I have an Intel chipset over my old 680I Nvidia. As far as I can tell just having the one GPU has not hurt my performance but has helped it alot more.

Got it no problem . Thanks for the help. I can't believe how much better my system is now that I have an Intel chipset over my old 680I Nvidia. As far as I can tell just having the one GPU has not hurt my performance but has helped it alot more.

Glad to help. It doesnt hurt any that your single GPU is a brand new 8800 GTS 512mb G92 either man :D

Also, FYI going sli or xfire helps ALOT in benchmarking programs (typically 40-50% increases) HOWEVER going sli/xfire for gaming typically only results in an increase in a few FPS. Perhaps 10% or so by comparison.

Back