• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K WTH is happening!?!?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Trying to backflash from BIOS 0805 to 0704 on a P5K vanilla mobo.

Trying to use afudos 2.11.

Try to boot to dos with a boot disk.

Sounds simple right? It should be......

Cant boot to dos even.

Here is my procedure WHAT THE HELL is going wrong???? Been trying for over 2 hours now.

1. 2ble click my computer. Rt click a: (a: in this case is a usb floppy drive). Format and check option for create dos boot disk.

2. Extract afudos 2.11 onto said boot disk.

3. Extract bios 0704 onto another floppy (wont fit on same floppy).

4. Boot into BIOS. Select boot from removable media floppy (Mistumi usb floppy drive) and it recognizes the drive as it should.

5. F10 out.....and......nothing....nada....zero.....

When I go to Asus flash update it can read the new (old) BIOS from the floppy, but obviously wont let me backflash which I think is retarded but whatever.....

Ive tried booting from a bootdisk made from windows from 2 different computers and NOTHING. Ive tried downloaded dos bootdisk makers from different websites and NOTHING. Honestly Im at the point now where Im so worked up I need to take a break and get away from the computer or I think Im going to put a baseball bat to several $1000s of hardware.

Anyone help please?

I think you need a special version of the flashing tool to revert, do you have that Russ?

For flashing I use a thumb drive, hang on a sec....

In this zip file you will find two items, a format tool and boot files. You can either install the format tool and use it on a thumb drive or simply use the disk formatting utility in Windows. After you have formatted the drive/disk, place all the files you see in the boot files folder onto the disk/drive and your done.

YHPM ;)

Yes there is a special flash tool to backflash/revert. Its the AFUDOS I refer to above.

I didnt get a PM, and there are no files in this thread to download Mark :(

Frustrating night for me. Im calling it a nite anyhow. If you have files to help take your time getting them here, I think I need to cool off and sleep before I even look at a computer for other than web-browsing :bang head:bang head

Thanks for the effort thus far though :D

I went through that same crap with my P5K. I eventually had AFUDOS 2.11 on a MS-DOS boot disk made in WinXP and the 0704 BIOS on another floppy. I didn't have to use any special switches with AFUDOS. Their is an option in the Windows based flash utility that lets you supposedly flash older BIOS', but when I'd select the older BIOS file, it would say there was an error with it. Their was nothing wrong with it. After all that, I basically had a borked LAN port and is in RMA right now. Good luck, I really undstand your aggravation. I moved on to Abit after all the hoops Asus needs just to backwards flash a BIOS. I still like their boards, but I'll pause the next time before buying.

Sad thing was I saw this, and did it anyway.

My main issue at this point is....I cant even get the dang board to boot to DOS hehe.....

I remember your frustrations in my other P5K 0805 BIOS thread.

Ive enjoyed ASUS as well, but this crappy 0805 BIOS that they put out is garbage. It borked my whole board. PLUS i cant even get to dos which Im not sure if its my issue or a hardware issue.

Did your weird issues get fixed once you backflashed to 0704 Tusk?

Afudos and the bios ROM have to be on the same disk.....

So you need:
1. Windows Startup Disk
2. Disk with Afudos and the bios file.

MAke sure to F8 to select the floppy with the boot disk in it...

Tried that setup allready.

Wont even boot to dos via bootdisk.

Didnt F8 choose the floppy, but I set it to boot from floppy via BIOS.

I will def try it. Its a good idea.

However, I picked the exact name of the boot device. USB Mitsumi Floppy Disk or something like that......It gave me that exact option in the BIOS boot menu so I know it is recognizing the drive, and I know Im telling the damn thing to boot from it :p

But your idea is a good one. One I should not have overlooked before I posted in such a frenzy......but....I WAS in a frenzy...:beer:

Ok fixed this issue tonight.....

Really a stupid issue and a problem on my behalf and not on Asus or this mobo. Dont get me wrong, BIOS 0805 sucks and is borked, but the lack of being able to use AFUDOS and backflash was what I was referring to.

I originally had another mobo in this setup. Foxconn Mars. I replaced the mobo with the P5K and attempted to do the flash with everything all the same. Default settings, but I guess the Foxconn chipset drivers were not properly recognizing the usb ports (even though everything looked OK in BIOS)??

I always assumed that the BIOS preceded anything in windows? So if BIOS recognition was good, then it wouldnt matter what chipset drivers were there in the windows database? I never even actually booted into windows after the mobo replacement, and didnt plan to and wouldnt expect it to work properly, but I DID assume that the basic chipset drivers would properly function in BIOS and PRE-windows utiltiies. Guess not?

I disassembled everything. I reassembled the same setup again today when my 8800 GTX came in. I did a clean reinstall of windows, and THEN used the AFUDOS flash tool with the USB floppy drive (never got to the point where I tried the USB thumb drive boot disk Mark, but Im sure it would have worked just fine).

Everything went off without a hitch. BIOS 0704 all good. Clean reinstall dual boot of XP PRO x86 and Vista Ultimate x64.

Be ready to get back on LN2 tomorrow and retest those C2Ds that were giving me problems to further eval if it was a mobo or cpu issue, as well as can start to practice with the 8800 GTX stock on LN2.

Back in action while I round up a replacement board for the Forum Wars!!

Thanks everyone for all of the help thus far.

:D

Did your weird issues get fixed once you backflashed to 0704 Tusk?
Well the CPU features began functioning correctly to keep the board from "downclocking", but I could never get the LAN port to connect to my cable modem or router again(borked IMO). I sent it to Asus, what, a week and a half ago, haven't heard a word from them yet. Glad you got your end straightened out.

Back