• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shroud vs No shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Hey lads,

we're time in the sandbox is finally coming to and end and I started ordering all my WC supplies so that they're ready and waiting when I get home.

Anyway, was wondering if I should drop the extra $20 on a shroud for the 120.3? I mean, how much gain am I looking at getting from it?

Also, tubing, Tygon 3603 1/2" ID still the best as far as flow, anti-kink and staying clear for a decent amount of time?

Last edited:
Its about time you get your butt back...

I'd have to look up the exact reference from Cathar, but a shroud for a PA120.3 only nets about a 2-3% improvement.

Hey lads,

we're time in the sandbox is finally coming to and end and I started ordering all my WC supplies so that they're ready and waiting when I get home.
Glad to here it!!! :)

Anyway, was wondering if I should drop the extra $20 on a shroud for the 120.3? I mean, how much gain am I looking at getting from it?
0.5-2°C on the CPU (at best) depending on your fan choice and CFM ...

Ok so here's the latest revision of my shopping list, take a look at it see if I'm missing anything, sigh I've never thought I'd dump this much $$$ into WC :

Case: Silverstone TJ07
CPU WB: D-tek FuZion
GPU WB: Swiffy MCW-60R
RAD: Thermochill 120.3 **shroud/no shroud?**
PUMP: Swiffy MCP655™ 12 VDC
RES: EK-Multioption RES 100 rev.2
FANS: YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SM-12 x3
TUBING: Tygon 3603 - 10ft

MISC:
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit
Wire Sleeving Kit - UV Green
4" UV Neon Orange Zip Ties (qty: 100)

I was thinking about getting 6 of those Yoons for push/pull, not sure if it would be worth the extra 3 fans/noise. Also as far as Elbows go, what would you guys recommend for best flow?

I'd go with 3 Yates, forget the shroud and buy a fan controller so you can turn the Yates down when you don't need the extra cooling. At least that way you can browse in peace ... ;)

when i get around to get my system built im just gonna get the cheapest 120mm fans i can, and gut them for shrouds

Also as far as Elbows go, what would you guys recommend for best flow?

#1 - long sweep copper elbows, i.e mcmaster.com part # 5520K603 for regular or # 5520K184 for street. These are just about the same as tight tubing bends, but can make tight bends a lot easier and less stressful on barbs and blocks.

#2 - plain old 1/2" copper elbows that you buy at any plumbing store. They are cheap and have a smooth curve.

Do not use nylon elbows as they have a sharp bend and are a LOT more restrictive.

Hmm maybe a sunbeam + 3 highspeed yates

If you are going to put out the money on a PA120.3, you are doing so in order to use slow spinning fans, hence 3 high speed yates doesn't make any sense to me. At higher rpms/cfms, the Swiftech MCR rad and the Black Ice GTX rads perform very close to the Thermochill. At high cfms, the GTX will outperform the Thermochill. For that matter, there really isn't as big of a difference between the MCR rads at lower cfms than most people think, and definitely not nearly enough to justify the current $135 pricetag (thanks to the US dollar) vs. the $46 MCR320 (at Sidewinder). You can buy 2 MCR320s (which I plan on doing shortly) and keep $35-$40 in your pocket.

Last edited:
Back