• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White Scale build-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crotonrz

Registered
I try to search exhaustively for answers to my questions, since typically it's been asked before, but I have not found someone with a description of a similar buildup in their WC loop.

Loop consists of: All Danger Den components - D5 Pump, 775 Waterblock, 8800GTX full coverage block, Thermochill 120.2 Rad, 1/2" Tygon, 5 1/4" Single bay reservoir using their 'non-conductive' coolant.
Coolant link: https://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=144&cat=63&page=1

I did NOT clean any of the components before install (this loop has been in machine about 8 months), and about 2-3 months after install of this loop, what looks like white powder began collecting in different areas of the loop, in the tubing, at the fittings, and most noticeably in the clear 5 1/4" bay reservoir, which has little collections on the sides. Also, some brown moldy looking substance has begun around the fill port of the res.

I linked the coolant, because it does claim to prevent algae build-up, but was wondering what further treatments I should use? I had a coolant leak (REALLY hoping the non-conductive coolant stayed non-conductive), so I am redoing all my lines, and adding in Danger Den's new multi-core CPU block, so I also wanted to know what I need to do to pre-clean new components, and flush out the old to best avoid any more issues. Thanks in advance.

Sorry...missed something. When people refer to cleaning components with alcohol following a leak, is rubbing alcohol sufficient, or something more refined?

Thanks again guys,

Looks like the brown stuff is algae, the white could be flux etc from your rad, did you clean it as talked about here? Or you could be lucky and have two types of algae!

I'd take it ALL out, open all the blocks, clean them, wipe the inside of all the hoses, res, open pumps, clean etc. Once it's all cleaned and back together for leak tests run:

Distilled water, 10% good antifreeze (Toyota or VW from dealer), and 4-5 drops of pet store fish biocide/algecide. Nothing else. If near a sunny window you might relocate the Comp.

I didn't clean anything prior to installing most of the components in this loop. It wasn't intentional, just ignorance at the time.

I wish I had pictures of the build-up before I disassembled, but it didn't even look like algae perse, it looked like baby powder that got shot around on the current of the loop and kind of stuck everywhere, but it still looked like powder. I have had a fresh water fish tank before, so the brown algae wasn't wierd, but the white powder was wierd.

I will use the solution your recommended in the loop, but since I am redoing all of the loop tubing, and adding a new block, should I run something through the blocks, or just run pressure test, drain and refill? I just want to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks for the quick responses to my simpleton questions.

People refer to using isopropyl alcohol to get water off of any components that have gotten wet. It will remove residue and take water with it when it evaporates.

You need to take you blocks apart and clean them with hot soapy water and a toothbrush or the like. For your res, you can use hot soapy water also, and you can also squirt a bit of DOW scrubbing bubbles into it, let it sit a few minutes, and then rinse/repeat a few times to make sure you get it all out. Same goes for the rad.

Your powder and such is probably from rad flux left in the radiator. That being said, all vinyl tubing develops a white film on the insides of it, but not enough that it gets onto everything as you described. There is no way to avoid the whitish film with clear tubing.

The 90% distilled water, 10% preferably Pentosin antifreeze (VW/Audi blue, Toyota red, or look online), fish aquarium algaecide, and a few drops of alcohol-free povidone iodine is a good, solid, reliable mix that will not allow any growth.

Back