• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IP35 Pro & electrical noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D749

Hi all.

My issue? I recently built a new rig (parts below) and I’m noticing a decent amount of electrical noise coming from the system when powered on. It seems to originate from both my video card and motherboard.

For instance, when I'm in the BIOS I'll occasionally here noise from the motherboard (e.g., buzz). It’s not always constant though. While clicking on a certain button in RivaTuner (how random is this) I'll notice my video card emits a faint noise (e.g., buzz/beep). Generally speaking the video card will emits noise when called into action (e.g., when running 3DMark06). This are just a few examples.

Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 GHZ (333x9)
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
4 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 @ 2.1v @ 4-4-4-12
Abit IP35 Pro 1.1
PNY 8800GTS 512MB G92 (cores overclocked ~ 10%)
Corsair 520W PSU
*Prime95 and Memtest86+ tested.

My question is how irregular does this sound? I never really noticed any of these issues when building/using my previous AMD 939 rig which used the exact same video card and PSU (swapped them over to the new system). This reminds me of my old SoundBlaster and the snack, crackle, pop when scrolling in IE. Haha.

Thanks!

Last edited:
well the noise would lead me to think the psu but that one is a solid one.... if you can i would still suggest tring a different psu for testing. other wise swap the board...

To tell you the truth, and I'm not saying that this is common or also your issue, I had an electrical noise from mine from an inductor right below the graphics card next to the post. I ended up playing with standoffs and removing one of them to make it go away (I think I was shorting the board slightly). This did not entirely fix it, every once in a great while it comes back and I have to kick my rig to keep it in line.

I found this out after a week of troubleshooting, but ended up keeping the board and not rma'ing (abit told me to just rma) because it has been working solidly.

Well I found the source of the motherboard noise. The high pitched whine is coming from the motherboards Foxconn keyboard/mouse port (the silver box on the motherboard that houses the PS/2 ports). I noticed that if I held my finger down on the silver box the sound definitely stopped. Now how to fix the damn thing without RMAing the board. I'm tempted to just rip it off. Haha.

The 8800 still makes noise but the more I read about it the more it seems fairly normal.

Just in case anyone else is experiencing a issue similar to this you might want to check out a post I started on the Abit forum. I finally was able to find someone else with a similar issue. ;) There currently is no solution however.

http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=133596

Back