• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5N-T Deluxe....did I make a mistake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PropellorHead

Hi All

Been playing with my new board, an ASUS P5N-T Deluxe... Now maybe I'm just being a total fool but it seems to be about as stable as me on a sunday morning on anything other than a very mild OC i.e 2.53 from my Q6600 GO.

Did I make a mistake with this board or am I just being a NOOB?

Got some GEIL 1066 memory and an 8800GT to go with it and was hoping I might get a reasonable boost from it but so far all I get is a frozen system...anyone here had any experience with this board might be able to give me few pointers?

Cheers

780i right?

unfortunately they're not been out long so not much experinence with them

Can we have full system specs?

Yep, for sure...should have put it all down in first post but hey, I'm getting tired here:

ASUS P5N-T Extreme 780i
Q6600 GO
Geil "Black Dragon" 2 x 1gig 5-5-5-18
Maxtor 300gb SATA2
650W PSU ("no name" I think but stable output when tested at work recently)
Gainward Golden Sample 8800GT @ 650 / 900
erm...thats it at the moment...
Oh yeah...Vista ultimate.... got a feeling its gonna get wiped and good ol' XP installed before too long

Cheers for response mate, looks like a busy forum and I am hopefull of good advice as long as I remember to include stuff like...oh, system spec for example...lol

Cheers

I'm running an Asus P5n-T deluxe board as well.

Specs:
P5n-T
Q6600 GO
8800gt EVGA SSC 512
Super Talent DDR2-800 running at 830 mhz 4-4-4-8
Silverstone Decathalon 850w

My board is very stable. I did flash to the new BIOS. This helped.

I still have alot of work to do as far as OCing goes.

But I hit a wall at 2.7ghz on my processor. It wouldn't load into windows. I went all the way up to 1.5vcore and no dice.
I can run 2.65g at 1.28 vcore all day long. I still need to do alot of testing with voltages on the board and I've read plenty of posts of people able to break the 3.0ghz mark and higher with the board.

Hit my 2.8v wall a little below you...

Now stable at 2.63 at stock voltage but, like you nothing will persuade it so far to boot into windows any higher.

It will POST at 3.0Ghz but never makes it to windows :(:(

As you say its time to do some long slow testing with voltages.

Let me know how you get on, I will post any success with full details if / when I get any....

Anyone else got any ideas what we could try? it would be a shame if such an expensive board turned out to be so disapointing.

Ditto guys. I'll be posting any and all improvements I get. I know its possible we just have to figure it out. First ever Intel build for me, so I'm hoping it goes good.

UPDATE: I hit 3.0 ghz. VCORE of 1.3000
Some very weird things were happening though. Simply in my trials. I'm running the new 0605 BIOS. I first started by dropping the multipler to 8 and trying to go from there. In my efforts to hit 2.7 and load into windows I went to 1350fsb and 8 multiplier.

Well compute loaded into windows I was happy. Then I brought up CPU-Z. Apparently it defaulted to a 9x multiplier and I got this:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3888/3ghzbz4.png

So this makes no sense??!! but so far Prime stable

So after going into bios after passing about an hour of Prime I noted that the bios is still showing an 8x multiplier and a cpu speed of 2.7ghz. I then proceeded to set it to 9x which is what it was running at before.
This worked and, LOL, Bios now matches what it is running at.

Maybe try doing an 8x multipler, unlinked and unsynched. (but keep in mind it will revert to 9x). See if that POSTs. If it does go back in anc change your multiplier back to 9 ro whatever.

Last edited:
The only weak point I see in your system configuration is your PSU. You never want to overclock a system on a no-name PSU, its a good way to fry parts. The no-name PSU's are almost always horrible in the build quality arena.

I would recommend that you purchase a high quality unit if you are serious about overclocking. Sadly, I'm not really up-to-date in that area, so someone else will have to chime in with some recommendations for you.

Tnsejed, gratz mate! Gives me hope.

Cheat, you have given voice to my thoughts my freind. New PSU will be ordered today along with a new cooler I think just in case.

I think I will try the new BIOS Tnsejed mentioned also and report back in a few days once the PSU arrives.

In the meantime I will check the thread daily to see if anyone has new results.

Thanks everyone for the input so far, I feel a bit less worried I bought a dog now anyway.:)

Tnsejed, where did you find the BIOS you are running mate? I cant seem to find it....

Any chance of a link? Asus site just sooo slooowwww cant get to anywhere on it tonight.

btw, my current BIOS is 0402

Thx in advance

EDIT: Found it, no worries....

Interesting point...From version note:
BIOS update file for P5N-T Deluxe (Version 0602)
1.Fix when CPU running in overclocking, system would hang up issue.

Sounds familiar to me.....

We proceed....

ThermalTake 120 ultra cooler and Corsair PSU on way to me, should be here wed so maybe I catch you up soon hehe

Last edited:
Back