• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p2b & Pentium 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gkuljian

This is my first post. I'm trying to find out if I can upgrade my Asus p2b rev. 1.02 with a Pentium 2 at 266 Mhz. to a Pentium 3 at 450 Mhz. Please, no comments on why I'm still in the 20th century. I've tried the obvious avenues for the information, but there seems to be no booting when I start the machine even though I've followed the instructions. Asus says no bios upgrade is needed.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Gregg

the CPU will work fine, but the BIOS will read it as a PII

I have used a coppermine-128 on a P2B without any problems so....

Are you sure you have it jumped correctly?
100 x 4
is your RAM PC-100 or PC-133
if you are still using old SDRAM (rated for 66MHz only) that could be a reason the board will not boot for you.

I'm using PC-133 ram. I just want my machine to run a bit faster than the 266 Mhz that it is. Nothing much. Certainly not worth the time and effort I've put into it already. I get a different answer from everyone I come into contact with. Any other suggestions?
And thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Gregg

You are sure teh 450 is not dead correct?

I would try this...
UNDERCLOCK the 450 to 300
leave the 4.5 multiplier in place, and change the FSB to 66...

If its still no go, update the BIOS....
Even though ASUS says an updated BIOS is not needed, Newer BIOS's are ALMOST always better.
That should get you working.

p2b pentium 3 worked!!

Thanks folks, the bios update got me going again. The bootup screens show a pentium 3, so I'm guessing that it DID work. Maybe it's working like a pentium 2, but I don't know how I'd ever find out.
Gregg

You cant just tease us with getting it to post... We need to know how far you can overclock that CPU now :)

Overclock? Hmmmm. How?

Well, now that's interesting. I'm guilty- I used to live next door to one of the first overclockers who runs his own bios company, and yet I don't know how to do it. Is it as simple as setting the multiplyer? This is a good place to ask, but to be responsible I'll look for myself. Hey, thanks for the prod!
Gregg

the multiplier is locked on that CPU so you can not change it...
but you can however change your FSB :)

Actually I did raise the bus speed (like a chimp that doesn't really know what it's doing) to 133 Mhz. The machine didn't complete bootup and gave a screen something like - can't find c:\winnt\ ntskernl or something like that. Was that just a coincidence or is there something else I should be doing in cmos setup or ???
Thanks,
I might be having fun yet.
Gregg

gkuljian said:
Actually I did raise the bus speed (like a chimp that doesn't really know what it's doing) to 133 Mhz. The machine didn't complete bootup and gave a screen something like - can't find c:\winnt\ ntskernl or something like that. Was that just a coincidence or is there something else I should be doing in cmos setup or ???
Thanks,
I might be having fun yet.
Gregg

That means you probably pushed it a bit too far. That could be a heat error or it could just be past the processor's limits. If you have another bus setting between 100 and 133 try that, like 112 or 120 or something.

multiplier and/or fsb

Right now I've tried running this Pentium 3 450 chip with a 5x multiplier instead of the 4.5x, and I don't see any speed difference when loading 110Mb of jpeg files. Does that mean it's a "locked" chip, or am I just not doing a valid test...? It isn't easy being green.
Gregg

Right, that's a locked multiplier. Even though you have it set to 5, so it would be running at 500Mhz, the multiplier is still locked at 4.5 and overrides what you set it to. You have to do an FSB overclock... see if your motherboard has any settings between 100 and 133 FSB. My old P2B-B (Baby AT version of the P2B) had settings of 66, 75, 83, 100, 103, 105, 110, 112, 115, 120, 124, 133, 140, and 150 Mhz FSB. I'd say 115-120 Mhz FSB would be a safe OC, though I found that with mine the diagrams weren't correct so I just fiddled til I found something that worked.

Last edited:
Overclocked it is!

It's up and running at 503 Mhz. I dropped the bus to 112 Mhz after reading similar boot problems. Aired on this forum in fact. Yeah, I even see a direct correlation when manipulating jpeg's around to use as evidence it's running faster. So far heat is ok, even with the heat conducting tape. Things are cheap. One question is where to get the right hardware to hold the chip in place. Bubblegum would work pretty well.
Gregg

Re: Overclocked it is!

gkuljian said:
It's up and running at 503 Mhz. I dropped the bus to 112 Mhz after reading similar boot problems. Aired on this forum in fact. Yeah, I even see a direct correlation when manipulating jpeg's around to use as evidence it's running faster. So far heat is ok, even with the heat conducting tape. Things are cheap. One question is where to get the right hardware to hold the chip in place. Bubblegum would work pretty well.
Gregg

LOL!! I suppose you could try bubble gum, but the plastic retention arms on either side of the processor should be enough. My old Slot 1 processor was always a little loose in the socket but it never gave me a problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it doesn't boot because it's too loose. Nice overclock, by the way, and welcome to the forums!!!!

Back