• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high MCP temp questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidnjina

Registered
I just setup my first WC rig with EVGA 680i, Q6600 and Corsair memory. No overclocking yet. I have an issue with dominator pc2-8888 memory.

Here is a link to my WC rig.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5399602#post5399602

Basically, my CPU, GPU and NB is watercooled.

I get following temperatures in BIOS.

CPU: 28C / 85F
Board: 31C / 88F <- is this northbridge temp? Is this high?
MCP: 93C / 199F <- then what's this?

28C and 31C are good, right? I am guessing (after searching internet) that MCP temperature is the power mosfets' temperature. And I believe that my EVGA 680i board has passive heatsinks on them near CPU. I know this temp definately has risen because I don't remember ever seeing temp in the 90c.

I used to have Ninja with 120mm fan blowing in the direction of one of those passive heatsinks so now with WC there are no fans directly blowing air near cpu area.

My questions:

1. What is MCP refering to?
2. What's a decent temp readings in BIOS for MCP?
3. Is 'board' temp refering to NB temp?

I'll ask question on corsair dominator issue in another thread.

Thanks for the help.

i'd like to know that aswell, though my MCP and Board temps are all good. i think my board temp is the same as yours and my mcp is 45C (stock cooling with 40mm fan and i replaced the TIM.)

send off an email to eVGA and they should tell you. how is your loop setup?

send off an email to eVGA and they should tell you. how is your loop setup?

I have these things in order.

Reservoir
Eheim 1260 pump
Black Ice GTX240 with three 120mm fans
Black Ice GTX240 with four 120mm fans
CPU - Q6600 no overclocking yet.
GPU - 8800GT no overclocking yet.
NB on EVGA 680i SLI MB
back to reservoir

Thanks

Last edited:
Guys he has a DD NB WB, so why is his temps so high? Or is it a defective temp sensor?

2206093650_a6d6336bb8_b.jpg

Guys he has a DD NB WB, so why is his temps so high? Or is it a defective temp sensor?

2206093650_a6d6336bb8_b.jpg

It's pain in the butt but I am reseating NB waterblock. I think you can easily mount WB at an angle not making full contact because NB is so small compare to the waterblock. I thought I was careful, but I am going to give it another try.

Thanks.

Need suggestion

Okay.

I removed MB and redo installation and paid special attention to NB mounting. I made sure that NB block is flat and wiggled a bit to make sure that it made full contact, but my MCP temp is still above 90c.

What should I do?

Thanks.

does the block feel hot? i'm not sure if bios reads that temp properly, i believe it does.

If you've got a 90°C heat source inside your case then put your hand in there and move it around slowly. Something that hot is going to radiate heat and you should be able to feel it with your fingers/back of hand without touching it.

Otherwise, I'd say you have a bad sensor ...

I agree with the point a fan at it and wtach the temps aproach. If that doesn't cause a change in temp, I'd say you probably have a bad temp sensor.

I had that happen on an Geforce 6800 card. The temps read fine when it was on air cooling, but when I put it on water, the temp always read somethign screwy.

Back