• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tell me what u think about this setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omniskillz

hi, im going to be getting intel e8500, xfx 780i mb and 1200mhz ddr2 ram from transcend. will scavange a g92 8800gts, OP750 power supply and x-fi from my old pc.
this list was given to me by a nice forum member (viperjohn) and i wanted further suggestions.

Radiator:
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=2&cat=85&page=1

i tried looking for reviews but could not find any. is there a significant decrease in temps if i go 3 fan long rad instead of 2?

Pump:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=208
is this pump good for 2 fan or 3 fan long radiators?

Reservoir:
www.swiftech.com/products/MCRES-micro.asp

CPU WB:
www.swiftech.com/products/APOGEEGT.asp
or
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=182

i was also looking at the apogee gtx, lot of ppl dont like it because of the aluminum finish, which do u prefer?

NorthBridge WB:
www.swiftech.com/products/mcw30.asp

not sure if i will buy one initially, but im guessin i will need to for high fsb. will see. any suggestions here is welcome.

GFX WB:
ViperFang-IV Black Diablo
or
www.swiftech.com/products/mcw60-R.asp
i probably wont water the gpu unless i decide not to step up.

Fans:
www.svc.com/fba12g12l1bx.html (Use 120 x 38mm fans in a draw through config).

thanks

Last edited:
Looks good :) all the dtek links are fuggered though, I'm guessing it's the DTEk fuzion? i'd reccomend that it seems to be the king, especially bowed...

Are you planning on SLI? if not just get a solid P35 board :p

and really buying 1200MHz stock ram is uncexasary, just get some ddr800 ballistix easily capable of ddr1200+

Several of your links are broken, so cannot comment on those items.

If you are not planning on including your gpu in the loop then I wouldn't worry much about going with a 120.2 instead of a 120.3 rad. That said, I would certainly opt to WC my gpu instead of my chipset.

Fan choice is a matter of preference. If you are looking for something that isn't too noisy, you might want to look at something like a Yate Loon.

Looks good :) all the dtek links are fuggered though, I'm guessing it's the DTEk fuzion? i'd reccomend that it seems to be the king, especially bowed...

Are you planning on SLI? if not just get a solid P35 board :p

and really buying 1200MHz stock ram is uncexasary, just get some ddr800 ballistix easily capable of ddr1200+

1200mhz ram was actually 112 dollars. ballistix i think is 95 or so. went with default speed ram instead of trying to overclock to get it.

2.2 v default for 1200mhz ddr2.

Several of your links are broken, so cannot comment on those items.

If you are not planning on including your gpu in the loop then I wouldn't worry much about going with a 120.2 instead of a 120.3 rad. That said, I would certainly opt to WC my gpu instead of my chipset.

Fan choice is a matter of preference. If you are looking for something that isn't too noisy, you might want to look at something like a Yate Loon.

fixed the links. thanks.

The transcend sticks will use the same IC's

D9GMH I'm pretty sure those are the only ICs capable of DDR1200, thers nother that tops about 1000

If you are going to go through the expense to watercool, then not watercooling your GPU makes no sense whatsoever. Watercooling really shines on the GPU. The MCW60 is a good block.

The Black Ice is a decent rad, but for the CFMs that you are looking at, I think you will do better with a Swiftech MCR rad. The MCR rads perform better, except at very high cfms.

As for the rad size, I would recommend going with a triple if you have the room for it. Sidewindercomputers has the MCR320 for only $46 on sale right now vs. $40 for the MCR220. $6 is worth it for the larger rad, and that way you future proof yourself.

The Apogee GT is a good block, but personally I prefer to avoid the GTX. I really like the build of the Fuzion better.

Water Cool your GPU. You'll be amazed at the temps, and the increased over-clockability.

I wouldn't recomend a full coverage block, simply because they are proprietary to the card they are for. a GPU only block, with som eRam sinks, will future proof yo ua bit, since you should be able to use that sam eblock down the road to cool other cards.

My Maze 4 is on it's 4th card, just to give you an idea.

Water Cool your GPU. You'll be amazed at the temps, and the increased over-clockability.

QFT. The difference in temps between air cooling your GPU and WC the GPU is much larger than the difference between the two on the CPU. And anyways, is there anything more annoying than the noise of a tiny GPU fan having trouble spinning?

If you are going to go through the expense to watercool, then not watercooling your GPU makes no sense whatsoever. Watercooling really shines on the GPU. The MCW60 is a good block.

The Black Ice is a decent rad, but for the CFMs that you are looking at, I think you will do better with a Swiftech MCR rad. The MCR rads perform better, except at very high cfms.

As for the rad size, I would recommend going with a triple if you have the room for it. Sidewindercomputers has the MCR320 for only $46 on sale right now vs. $40 for the MCR220. $6 is worth it for the larger rad, and that way you future proof yourself.

The Apogee GT is a good block, but personally I prefer to avoid the GTX. I really like the build of the Fuzion better.

ur referring to the black ice extreme correct and not gt? thanks for the recommendation and everyone else as well.

Back