• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k premium/q6600 OC results...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdmnash

Registered
I have successfully oc'd my q6600 to 3ghz(my goal) are my numbers safe?
core voltage: 1.272v
core speed: 3005.8 MHz
multiplier: x9.0
bus speed:334.0 MHz
rated fsb: 1335.9 Mhz
under full load hottest core leveled off at 69-70C is that safe? (prim95 for about 10 min- will test extensively later pending responces)
I'm running a GO w/ 2gb of PC8500 ddr2 crucial ballistix 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v

I wouldn't feel safe over 65C myself. With that cooler you should get much better temps than that based on your cpu speed and voltage. I try reseating the heatsink at least once. Also, how's your case airflow? Do the temps drop a lot with the side panel off?

case flow i'm pretty sure is not the problem. I have 2 intake fans, one into HDD cage and one taking up 3 front drive bays. one exhaust fan, one PSU fan, and one Graphics card fan. Is there a way to change any of the settings around to get lower temps while maintaining the 3ghz? I'm pretty sure that the HS is mounted correctly. I'm not ruling out reseating it but I want to make sure I've tried everything else first.

I agree I would remount.

Also make sure all of the fans are turned in the proper direction and not blowing hot air INTO the case instead of out of the case.

But.....I would honestly remount :)

Is there a way to change any of the settings around to get lower temps

The only setting that will affect your CPU temp would be the vcore so the answer would be no. I would suggest a better HSF for the CPU, you should be able to get much better temps than that at 3GHz.

EDIT: Just read your sig and saw you are using a good HSF already, I thought you were on a stock HSF, like the others I definitely suggest a re-mount, those temps are too high for that clock speed and voltage.

Similar situation

Motherboard: Asus 5P3E Premium WiFi-AP@n Edition
Chipset: Intel X48
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Stepping B, Revision GO 2.4 GHz
RAM: 1X2 2GB Crossair XMS3 DHX 1333MHz
Graphic Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR 5
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1x2 TB HD103UJ SATA 2
Heatsink: Tharmalright Ultra Extrem 120 with Sythe S-FLEX S-FDB 120mm 800RPM fan.
Optical Drive: LG Blueray BD-RE GGW-H20L
Enclouser: Antec Performance One P182 with 3 120mm fans
PSU: Corsair HX620W

This is my first time overclock I think I did successfully however, now I use the default 2.4MHz because of temperature.

I am able to overclock to 3.4MHz (378X9) and 3.3MHz (375X9) I did Stress Test with Prime95 about 2 hours no problems but I stopped it because the CPU temperature was getting higher (70c) and lower it again, most of the time it was remained at 67/68c during the stress test. And normal use the temperature was under 60c. I did not have any problems except the high temperature. I use Core Tem, SpeedFan and PC Wizard 2008 have almost same temperature but the Asus Ai Suite and Asus Probe II have about 10C less temperature. I relapped the heatsink again but nothing improvement.

I think my temperature is also beyond the safe temperature so I am looking here for a solution. Another problem is the multipier was reset automatically (from 9 to 6).It is my first time built computer as well as first time overclock. I am a new member of this forum too. I request your help to fix this problem.

Last edited:
I agree with previous posts saying your cpu heatsink might not be very efficient. What was the ambient temperature?

BUT, 70C is far from being dangerous to your CPU. The breakdown temperature of silicone is over 110C. If you did not remove the options, your CPU automatically throttles back when it reaches 100C. Personally, I would keep the temps under 90C and call them safe. Several dozens of computers at my company (huge company) run on Q6600's with stock cooling. On hot summer days these things reach over 90C and have operated just fine for almost 2 years now. During winter months, with heavy usage, they keep our offices nice and warm.

That said, the 70C temp is fine.

-D

Def. bad temps. Your vcore is very low, so the problem is more than likely the heatsink/fan combo or the mounting.

Are you using the stock cooler? I hope not.

What thermal paste did you use?

I have my son's q6600 at 333fsb on a P5K-Deluxe. With the core contact feezer and fan set to 3/4 power, my idol temps are 35c and prime temps never break 51c. Also my vcore is higher...1.3

if that quad is a b3 that could be a problem less i'm missing something here din't see q6600 go anywhere but still seem's high for 3.0 gig's
Rich

Back