• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My corsair PC-2400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaM

Okay, im really trying to get a better FSB but im only getting 140 maximum! With this Corsair PC-2400, i should be getting more - maybe 155-165 i believe. Ive gotten my computer to 1680 (12x140), but i would much rather have 160x10.5 - of course... hehe. But why cant my mem go further than 140? Getting kind of frustrated and about to buy the new Kingmax PC-2700. Help is needed...

BTW I have an enermax/epox combo, leaving the 5v rail VERY short on overclocks. ~ 5.8v. Woudl this prevent me from a more stable FSB?

And... i have the new EPoX BIOS witht he divisors... how do i know they are working. I only have an NIC, Sound card, and my TI500...

Thanks again guys...

matt

If you have the epox 8KHA+ people say that they can't run their memory at as high a fsb with this board as on other boards.
Raising the memory voltage does help them get the fsb up but also risks damage to the memory.

Ehh.. EPoX 8K7A+...
its just i know friends with PC2100 that hit higher than i do with my 2400.. just not cool...

Yes I can get over 155mhz with 2x256mb of crucial at 2.7v on my 8K7A.
Have you tried removing the nic card?
Also if you are overclocking your video card it can cause overclocking problems.

No i have not tried removing my card... what would that enable? Just NIC card cant handle upped mhz passed 33mhz? Just wondering. Naw i havent really done much video card overclocking... ill try the ethernet card later tonight...

Thanks Placid

Matt

Ive got two sticks or 256mb crucial PC2100 running at 163 fsb fastest timings on my 8KHA+
But im giving them 3v and I have a 60mm fan blowing onto them.
I might make some copper heatspreaders and try to get a higher FSB at 3.2v
I might even try a higher voltage later on, although I dont realy want to mod my board.

If your running a 8KHA+ you have to run one of the new beta bios to get the FSB up.

I can run my board at 190fsb with the ram devider at 3/4 although then the PC is slower.
Maybee some time I will get some DDR that will do 200mhz as im sure the board would do with some modifications.

Some nic's are are very sensitive to overclocking. 140 is not alot thou, also make sure you have the jumper jclk1 on page 3-6 to the 133 position.

Okay... tried it with NIC card out... no difference.
Have the positions right with all the jumpers, too. Just whenever i step above 140, windows starts to load, but says, "Windows has been shutdown so your hardware doesn get damaged blah blah blah." Then under that it says, "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME." And im running XP... so whatever that stuff is - its keeping me from getting into windows. I can POST with a high FSB, but not get into windows due to that Blue sreen that says all the junk that i explained...

Matt

What memory timings have you tried?
Try manual and from top to bottom 16-8-8-2-8-2-2.
Also are you using raid or usb?
What cpu are you using? If it's a xp have you verified the multiplier is really changing with wcpuid or something?

Unless you got some"bad" memory I really think the problem is with something else.
I have never used the corsair 2400 but as you can see in this thread it seems to do well in the 8K7A.

http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54273

Last edited:
I just have them on auto but i will try 16 8 8 2 8 2 2 and 8882222. My mouse is usb, should i use PS2? Im running an athlon 1.4 thunderbird right now, watercooled. Thanks for your all your help...

Yes I would try a ps2 mouse and disable the usb ports in the bios just to see if it makes a difference.

Okay well i think ive tried everything known in the overclockers world to up this FSB but it wont go - so ill take it like a man, AND SMASH MY RAM! Okay.. im really tired... but maybe ill upgrade soon - new chip, new mobo, and new ram. 140 isnt all that bad? Right? heh... uhhhbggg... ok so maybe it is :( .

Thanks for your efforts placid...
help doesnt go unnoticed around here :)

Matt

Well I have heard of people just getting 8K7A'as that don't overclock well at all.

But before you give up try to arrange things and disable unused things in the bios so no irq's share.
Here is a list of what irq's share what.

PCI slot 1 & agp share.
PCI slot 2 & hpt 370 share.
PCI slot 3 & 5 share.
PCI slot 4 & usb share.
PCI slot 6 & usb share.

A easy way with to check with windows is to go start-run type in msinfo32 click ok.
Look under hardware resources-irq's.

Okay... eeps.

I went into msinfo32 and about croaked when i saw all the shared IRQs.
Problems are in IRQ 10 and 11... here is exactly what it says:

IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 Creative SB Live! series(WDM) OK
IRQ 10 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 OK
IRQ 11 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
IRQ 11 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller OK

Well i can disable all the USBs, but how would i switch it so the soundcard and NIC aren't sharing IRQs? And, i can disable my onboard audio controller and my highpoint raid - i dont use it yet. Ill just fiddle with it more. Thanks...

Matt

Use my above post to pick slots on the motherboard that won't share irq's.

Once the usb controller's are disabled you should have no problem finding them.

I found my sb live worked best in slot 6.

Pci slot 3 or 5 are good as they don't share with any onboard devices but only use either one as they share with each other.

If you still find win xp (if that's what os you have) is showing your devices sharing irq's read this thread:
http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52644&highlight=sharing+irqs

Last edited:
Okay... well i can easily get into safe mode with my ram set at 166 with 16 8 8 2 6 2 2 timings. What does this mean? It just wont let me get into normal windows with anything above 140, but with safe mode, it seems i can shoot for the sky...

Thanks

Matt

Could be a lot of os-hardware related things like dma mode, if you still have problems after getting the irq thing straight then try manually setting your hard drive mode in the bios to pio mode 2 and disabling udma and see if that makes any difference but fix the irq's first.

If you still have problems and want more help post your operating system,what via-amd drivers you installed if any,how your hard drive and cd-rom are connected,master-slave or separate ide channels.

Last edited:
Wow... how in the world would you know how to do that. Okay, fixed all IRQs so nothing is sharing, put hard drive mode to PIO 2 and disabled UDMA. How come it let me do higher clock? im running at 150 now... might be able to go more too. Im running WIndows XP Pro, with all updates DLed. Thank you so much Placid... wow...

Matt

Okay now timings @ 8882222 running @ 155 and doing stability tests as we speak. Man im pumped :) So happy... thanks bud.

Matt

Win xp pro with your motherboard means you don't install any of the via or amd agp drivers.

If you have not then the problem is probably the hard drive and the cd-rom are on the same ide cable and interfering with dma transfers.

Best way to cure this situation is to put the hard drive and the cd-rom on seperate ide cables and ide channels.

To test this just disconnect the cd-rom from the ide cable and set the hard drive in the bios to auto and enable udma if it works fine like this then change the cd-rom to it's own ide channel don't forget to set your cd-rom jumper to be a master.

Back