• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board advise needed for setup (oveclocking wanted)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gladiator627

I’ve been out of the overclocking game for a while but I’v decided to get back into this fun hobby. I’m buying an E8400 and Board soon but I’ve already bought 4 Gigs of the memory below I paid $91.00 tax and shipping for the ram. (Canada - Newfoundland)

Brand A-DATA
Model ADQVE1B16K
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec - Capacity 4GB(2 x 2GB Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5, Timing 5-5-5-18, Voltage 1.8V, Heat Spreader Yes
Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

I want to hit atleast 4 Ghz so I’ll be picking up aftermarker cooking so I need advise on the following items/questions.

Go with x38 or P35 Or nvida board? (booting windows and installing to raid 0 is important)

Can I overclock with FSB without overclocking the ram?

What is the FSB wall? Will that stop me from reaching over 4ghz with DDR 2 800

Board has to fit a big aftmarket cooler

I’ll only be running 1 video card and and willing to spend $150-215 on a board

Any help woud be appreciated from the overclocking pros, thx 

All P35 chip set by abit, asus, or gigabyte ... will be sweet ... if you plan to go with crossfire maybe a x38 chipset like the ix38 quad gt from abit give you 2 pci-e 2 slot at 16x each ...and if you wanna go sli way ... so you have to go with the 680i or 780i chipset from nvidia

I like my gigabyte board...it has ddr2 and ddr3 support (just not at the same time) I'm not sure but I think X38 chipsets are ddr3 only, but like I said, I'm not sure. I hear that the nvidia chipsets (680i) don't clock as well.... 780i might be a different story. Abit makes a few good p35 boards also.

There seems to be no "outstanding board". I believe the x38 supports either DDR2 or DDR3 depending on the manufacturer, same with the P35.

I want to reach 4ghz with E8400

I'll prob go with an P35 board and I'd really like to reach 4ghz with an e8400 so is it possible to overclock without taking the ram past what it's rated for? is there some kind of ram divider I can use or should I just get ddr 2 1066 although I'd like to keep the DDR 2 800 if I can.

4GHz with a 9x multiplier is less than FSB450, dont need an übergood board to do that. But your Ram wil have to be OCed to around 890MHz, shouldnt be too hard with some voltage increase.

Yes finally a glimpse of hope for DDR2 800 that I ordered, the ram is not here yet and it’s 2 gig x 2 sticks to give me 4 gigs with only 2 ram slots used. I got the ram for cheep and it’s usually very expensive to have things shipped where I live on a island off eastern Canada. The last thing I overclocked was my old Barton 2500 unlocked while things have changed since then I’m not really worried about having the fastest timings or memory speed since that is very little gain in real world usage so I rather have the extra MHZ over tighter/faster ram.

Back