• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make pure alcohol?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickpatbrown

Any chemist out there know if the calcium chloride that they use for melting snow would suffice as a drying agent for 90% alcohol?

Is this pointless since 90% alcohol can dry electrical components well enough if you get water on them?

if were talking isopropyl alcohol then i have some rexall brand at 99% it was about 3.99 at pharma plus or shoppers drug mart.

95% is the highest level of purity you can obtain from distillation with ethyl alcohol (not sure about isopropyl). Calcium chloride (anhydrous) has a high affinity for water. If you add the CaCl to the 95% alcohol, it will "dry" it by absorbing the water -> 100% alcohol after filter the CaCl.

The stuff at the drug store is 91% isopropyl alcohol, 9% water and costs about $1.25. Snow melt is cheap too. Mix and filter and you have 100% isopropyl. The link above has pure alcohol for $25 for a liter!

That is if the snow melt CaCl is as pure as what we use in the lab. I have a feeling though that snow melt contains some other impurities that might royally F*#@ up your electronics after you dissolve it in the alcohol. Also the snow melt might not be anhydrous, but it should be dry enough. You might have to use a little more.

The big question is weather this would be worth it. My guess is that for the purpose of cleaning parts and drying electrical components, 90% is sufficient and the extra purity would not help enough.

But than again, we're talking about people who spend hundreds of dollars and modify expensive equipment jsut to get a couple extra Mhz out of a processor!

Last edited:
Canda has all the good stuff like 99% pure alcohol and strike anywhere matches.

Not that those two should be used at the same time :mad:

I forgot, is it Isopropyl that I want to liberally pour all over my motherboard when I am fed up and want to clean the hell out of it? *note the motherboard is not in the computer and connected to anything else so I am not entirely insane.. just mostly

how dirty can the motherboard be? did you mount it on your mountain bike? did u use it as a skid plate on your last offroading excursion? wont compressed air suffice?

Back