• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unbeleivable core temp, whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spbeyond

Registered
Hello. First I got my quad core up and running in the POS kandalf LCS (eh its not horrible) anyway, right now surfing the web and downloading stuff the core temps are at 28,24,26,24 in Coretemp! This is all stock kandalf LCS except I lapped the waterblock. That sounds WAY low. Whats going on! Also what are good programs for watching this stuff, ect. Thanks

sounds like your cores aren't loaded maybe. go to task manager and check cpu usages. download superPI or prime95 and make sure cpu is at 100% usage. you can also get cpu-z and check to see what its running at ghz wise.

Hello. First I got my quad core up and running in the POS kandalf LCS (eh its not horrible) anyway, right now surfing the web and downloading stuff the core temps are at 28,24,26,24 in Coretemp! This is all stock kandalf LCS except I lapped the waterblock. That sounds WAY low. Whats going on! Also what are good programs for watching this stuff, ect. Thanks
Download a new version of CoreTemp and see if you are getting the same temps. If you do or don't, load the processors by running a program to load all 4 cores (Orthos/CPUBurn/Prime95). Please note that most of those programs will require that you run more than one instance for it to load all 4 cores.

According to CPU-Z its at 1600MHZ multiplier is x6 bus speed 266. Isn't the multiplier supposed to be higher and the bus speed higher to? Im sorry I dont understand what you mean by loaded? I can see the temps of all 4 cores if that is what you mean. I am at a low idle. That may account for the temps I guess. I am downloading prime 95 to see what that program does. Right now the temps for the cores is at 28,24,26,24 it has core 0 has hit 31. Thanks for your help. Oh also CPU-Z says my ram is 6400 ram at 400 MHZ. Is that right, its supposed to be DDR2 800 ram. Its G-Skill.

According to CPU-Z its at 1600MHZ multiplier is x6 bus speed 266. Isn't the multiplier supposed to be higher and the bus speed higher to? Im sorry I dont understand what you mean by loaded? I can see the temps of all 4 cores if that is what you mean. I am at a low idle. That may account for the temps I guess. I am downloading prime 95 to see what that program does. Right now the temps for the cores is at 28,24,26,24 it has core 0 has hit 31. Thanks for your help. Oh also CPU-Z says my ram is 6400 ram at 400 MHZ. Is that right, its supposed to be DDR2 800 ram. Its G-Skill.
You have speedstep and C1E enabled in the BIOS. Speedstep lowers the multiplier when the processor is not in use. C1E lower the voltage of the processor when speedstep is active. You may disable them if you wish. Please note that even with them enabled, if the processor is put under load it will instantly (read: instantly) raise it back up to stock speeds.

By "loading the processor", we mean, put it at 100% usage.

Oh right, you mean to put it under stress to see what the tempatures are at 100 percent load?

What about the ram. What do I need to do to get it going at the speed it is supposed to be running at?

it should already be at it's rated speed. if you know it's not then by default your motherboard has put it at lower MHz and timings. you will need to go into bios and change it all manually, it's not a controlled thing like the cpu is.

EDIT: it's running at the rated speed then, like thideras said it's doubled.

What about the ram. What do I need to do to get it going at the speed it is supposed to be running at?
It is running at its rated speed.

400mhz = 800mhz actual speed.

DDR = Double Data Rate

You have to multiply it by 2 ;)

it should already be at it's rated speed. if you know it's not then by default your motherboard has put it at lower MHz and timings. you will need to go into bios and change it all manually, it's not a controlled thing like the cpu is.
It is running correctly ;)

Sweetness thanks for the help. I will do a stress test and let you know the numbers. Thanks :)

Yeah, it was just better than I was expecting with this setup for the quad core. So I thought maybe there was somthing wrong with the processors tempature probes or something. Better safe than sorry.

Idle temps are nothing to judge by. It's the temp(s) at full load.

Even crappy air cooling can produce decent idle temps.

Back