• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do they make one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Does anyone know if IBM makes a motherboard. A friend of my needs some ram but doesn't know how much it can handle. The only thing I know is the chipset is a SIS5595 and the heatsink on the chipset says Xcel 2000. The book that came with it said something about IBM. The model# is M748LMRT.

The SiS 5595 is the southbridge part; they were paired with a few different norhbridge units - the 620 and 530, for starters....

IBM has probably built their own motherboards, but I'm doubting that they EVER used an SiS chipset...they were always really buddy-buddy with Intel.

The 530 chipset would be limited to three memory modules up to 1.5GB total system memory.

The 620 chipset supports up to 256MB/bank of memory also up to a max of 1.5GB.

Suffice to say, you could probably plant as much memory as you could afford into one....

I just recognize now the model of the motherboard in question. It's made by PCChips. This model in particular will take up to 768MB of memory in 3 DIMM slots, so it'd be up to 256MB modules.

I'm pretty sure this would be an SiS 620 northbridge.

Here's a link to the page....

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M748LMRT.html

Hope this helps - especially if you need drivers and stuff!

Back