• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5k Deluxe Wont Post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nalco

Registered
My Specs:
MoBo: Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi
CPU: Intel E6700
CPU HS: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2X1GB
GPU: EVGA 8800 GTX
PSU: Corsair 620hx

After months of my computer running flawlessly, it started to flake out. Programs would just close without errors, and I would get an occasional blue screen.

I was running two 1GB sticks of RAM in each of the yellow slots. I ran Memtest, and it started throwing errors immediately, so I pulled one stick out, ran Memtest again for about 6 hours and got no errors. I conceded to the fact that I would temporarily run on 1GB of RAM until I got another.

After about two weeks, the computer started flaking out again, the same prog closing and blue screens. I checked the previously checked RAM again, and it now started throwing errors right away.

At that point, I pulled the stick out of the yellow slot, dropped into the first black slot and ran Memtest again for about an hour, no errors. Thinking that maybe the problem wasn’t my RAM, but the yellow slots, I decided to grab the stick of RAM I had pulled when I ran the original test. I dropped that into the second black slot, and ran Memtest for about five hours, no errors at all.

Thinking I had just fixed all my problems, I went on my merry way. Everything ran fine for about three days, until it blue screened yet again. I ran Memtest yet again, and there was a cascade of errors.

I rebooted into the bios, and looked around. At some point I changed the speed of the RAM from 1066 to 800-something, and in my frantic desire to try and reboot to run Memtest again, I accidentally saved my changes without changing the RAM speed back to 1066.

As soon as I saved, the computer rebooted and has yet to come alive again. The computer will not POST at all. The fans spin and it looks like its going to do something, but nothing happens. No beeps, and the monitor will not even turn on.

I have since tried each stick of RAM in both the first Yellow, and Black slot. I tried this before and after pulling the battery, and moving the jumper to reset the bios (though I did only set the reset jumper for about 10 seconds). I also tried rebooting without any RAM , and it did give the error beeps.

I did some reading, and decided to pull the battery and set the reset jumper again, and as of right now it has been about an hour since I have done so. Other than that, I have no clue as to how I can bring my precious computer back from the land of the dead.

So here I sit with my $2000 computer piled in a worthless heap as drink scotch and type this post.

Any ideas???!!!

P5K not posting

I have a P5K board and it failed to boot the other day. Had the fans all running but no video or beeps. Unhooked everything and removed all but CPU. Prior to this, I had taken the battery out and cleared the CMOS but still no luck. Still nothing. With everything out I got the no memory error so put one stick back in and my Pci-e card. (As information, I had tried an old pci video card but that did not work either.)

Anyway, when I put the 1 stick and the Pci-e card in, I got the video working. Replaced everything and now working. Read on the web about the p5K boards being very bendable so need to be careful with the video card.

I locked everything up again later that day but just cleared the CMOS and was good to go. You might try to turn the power switch on and off a few time while clearing the CMOS to make sure it gets reset. Also leave the jumper on longer too. Hope this hello

Its HERE... Looks like crucial ditched the tabs that hold on the heat spreaders. Good idea- I had to remove mine for the spreaders to stick to the ram.

Back