• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remounting NB/SB heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

How many of you remount and replace TIMM on your NB/SB/etc heatpipe/heatsinks/etc for every single motherboard when you first get it?

I often times here of people doing this, but I wonder if it really helps that much?

Thanks.

Well if you look at the either crusty or over/underapplied crap that's underneath them most of the time, you'll see why. I redo them all before the mobo goes in. Video card as well.

Well if you look at the either crusty or over/underapplied crap that's underneath them most of the time, you'll see why. I redo them all before the mobo goes in. Video card as well.

Yea.....thats exactly why Im bringing this thread up. I recently pulled the stock HS/fan from my EVGA 8800 GTX and was APPALLED at the crapazz TIMM tape-like material that was on the core and memory chips.

Same crud used across the board on all major mobo manufacturers as well?

EDIT/ADD: Tusk....you ever do a before/after test? How high can A/B/C get at stock prior to replacement, and how much after re-mounting and applying a good quality TIMM properly?

on the last coupla mobos i have gotten i have started just replacing the tim on all the heatsinks.... but only recently have i replaced the tim and thermal pads of my 8800GTS 640...

EDIT/ADD: Tusk....you ever do a before/after test? How high can A/B/C get at stock prior to replacement, and how much after re-mounting and applying a good quality TIMM properly?
No I haven't, I just do it based on the poor quality and application of TIM on previous hardware I've seen when changing coolers or whatever. Even if there happened to be no benefit, which I'd heavily bet there is, just knowing I did a better job with better TIM makes me feel better. But really, I've seen some real crusty crap under some sinks that just couldn't possibly be doing much. I can tell you for certainty the crap on the NB on the three IP35 Pro's I've done was as hard as some chewing gum left under a desk left in a meat locker. :eek:

on the last coupla mobos i have gotten i have started just replacing the tim on all the heatsinks.... but only recently have i replaced the tim and thermal pads of my 8800GTS 640...

And what kinda of TIMM did you find on said sinks when you replaced them BH2?

Garbage tape? Poor spread of a semisolid TIMM? Good quality and good coverage?

Back