• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rad cpu/gpu fan connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t3chHungry

Registered
I'm going to run 2 loops, cpu and gpu. My apologies if the answer is obvious:eek:
Is it ok to connect rad fan for cpu to mobo cpu fan connector as well as connecting rad fan for gpu to the fan connector on graphics card?

mobo/cpu: DFI LT X38 T2R/Q6600 (slacr)

loop hardware for cpu: Thermochill PA120.1, Apogee GTX, mcp 655.

Have yet to purchase graphics card: Thermochill PA120.1, mcp655.

1/2" ID Tygon tubing for both loops w/T-line. Both pumps are adj. speed.

Silverstone TJ09

Last edited:
I'm going to run 2 loops, cpu and gpu. My apologies if the answer is obvious:eek:
Is it ok to connect rad fan for cpu to mobo cpu fan connector as well as connecting rad fan for gpu to the fan connector on graphics card?

mobo/cpu: DFI LT X38 T2R/Q6600 (slacr)

loop hardware for cpu: Thermochill PA120.1, Apogee GTX, mcp 655.

Have yet to purchase graphics card: Thermochill PA120.1, mcp655.

1/2" ID Tygon tubing for both loops w/T-line. Both pumps are adj. speed.

Silverstone TJ09

I don't see why there should be a problem with that as long as you turn off any auto fan speed adjustments that the MB may have. A fan is a fan (unless you start talking about uber high speed tri-blade Deltas or the like).

I am curious however why you are planning on running dual loops for just a CPU/GPU with single rads? Using two pumps for a simple loop like that will net you no temp improvements over using just one pump. One pump would get you well over 1.5gpm, let alone two.

You would be better off going with a dual rad instead of two singles anyway both for the sake of efficiency and cost. Why spend $190 when you can spend $120 and have less tubing and restriction?

Also, it should be noted that if you are going to use low speed fans like yate loons or the like, then the PA rad is the best on the market. If you are using moderate to high speed fans, then there is no reason to buy a Thermochill as other rads will perform almost on par with it. You can buy two Swiftech MCR220 rads for $40 each and come out $40 cheaper than buying one PA120.2. Although the Swiftech rads don't perform as well as the Thermochills, you are not talking anywhere near a 3-times-the-price difference.

If you have the money to burn and want the Thermochill, it is the best performing rad on the market, and you will make a good purchase on a quality rad. However, if I was going to spend $120 on a top of the line dual rad, I would spend $15 more and buy a 120.3.

I have to agree with Voigts. there really is no need for you to run two seperate loops You aren't dumping enough heat into the loop to warrant it.

Your case will accomodate a 120.3 sized radiator. Go with a single loop, save your self some cash.

Many thanks for your advice. A single loop as described above would also "keep it simple". This will be my first w/c build and I do appreciate you guys taking the time to point me in the right direction. :cool:
I thought 2 loops was preferred.
I really like the yate loon. Have one on rear exhaust as well as a top exhaust on current rig.

Yate loons are great fans, but do be aware that some people have problems with them wearing out prematurely if they are mounted horizontally. The sleeve bearings lubricate better if they are standing upright vertically.

Back