• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water evaporating in a "closed loop"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Suffice to say, I see no leaks in my loop. However, I do notice that the water level in the res is nearly an inch lower then what it was when I first filled it up months ago (still the same color/opacity though :thup: ). So how does water get used up in a closed loop? Water molecules seeping through the tubing itself? Extreamly small, naked to the human eye leak that doesn't allow a full drop of water to form, but instead the water evaporates before it can collect enough?

Suffice to say, I see no leaks in my loop. However, I do notice that the water level in the res is nearly an inch lower then what it was when I first filled it up months ago (still the same color/opacity though :thup: ). So how does water get used up in a closed loop? Water molecules seeping through the tubing itself? Extreamly small, naked to the human eye leak that doesn't allow a full drop of water to form, but instead the water evaporates before it can collect enough?
Well, it will evaporate, your loop is not completely air tight. It can seep very slowly through the tubing itself or migrate to the reservoir.

I have seen the same thing. You lose some water right through the tubing. You can also have very small leaks that will do it also.

Depends on the material your tubing is made out of. Primoflex, or other silicon based tubing are the most pourus, and you will definately notice the coolant loss with that tubing. Your resevoir might not be perfectly sealed, so you might have some water vapor making it's way out.

Every loop has to have some coolant added once in a while, some more often than others.

I use tygon silver 1/2" ID 3/4" OD it has an internal extra layer of silver...

A year later no top ups needed...

Tygon is more or less non-pourus in general. PVC based tubing generally is. With the exception of the silicon based tubing, most evaporation occurs around the barbs, or seals to things like reseviors or T lines. The tighter you have things screwed in, and clamped down, the less coolant loss you should see.

Damn I must have set mine up good then because I have not had to top mine off in almost two years since I last set up the loop and changed to a new fluid.

I would say you set it up well!

But again, don't be TOO alarmed by coolant loss. As long as you don't see any leaks, it's perfectly normal.

Yep, even the water molecules break down into hydrogen/oxegen. The heat does it. And the molecules do migrate through the tubing.

Wouldn't that be explosive?

I don't think hydrogen and oxygen separate from the ocean or other bodies of water...

I don't think hydrogen and oxygen separate from the ocean or other bodies of water...

I think he meant the individual water molecules break free from the rest.

And yes, a year later with no top up with Silver Tygon is good, since I too also use the silver stuff.

I usually add a little every three months or so. At first it was more often but the tubing is saturated at this point.

Lightning strikes water more often than land. And do fish take on hydrogen atoms through their gills ...?

Considering I change out my coolant every month or so, I couldn't even tell you how often I would normally top off.

Back