• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherbaord compatability with PSU [24pin, 20+4pin]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amru

Registered
first post, first build, long time lurker recently registered

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 19.99AR
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L 99.99
GPU: EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 149.99AR
PSU: Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 64.99 [I srsly need help on this :\ ]
HDD: Seagate 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 84.99
ODD: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA 29.99
CPU: E8400 224
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 5-5-5-15 44.99

[ these 2 options just popped up from techbargins] or
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 4-4-4-12 SLI certified 34AR
or
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 5-5-5-18 DHX Technology 33AR

A quick question what the thread is about.. the mobo has a 24pin power connector and the PSU has a 20+4 power pin.. is it compatible? should i get an adapter or should i get a different PSU that has 24powerpin? Either way can someone help out since this is my first build.. I've searched and got TONS of mixed answers, some saying it'll work & some saying I'll end up frying something. I really dont want to mess things up so i thought id ask, even if it is a simple question for you guys.

Im freaking excited but nervous as well, i dont wanna do anything wrong

i'll be using this comp most part for CS2, gaming, music, movies, and web browsing and MOST prob wont be upgraded for a few years.

I really appreciate you guys reading my thread and thnks for any help/ease of mind you may provide.

just FYI this is a budget build of ~800, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated but just keep this in mind please.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

I fairly certain that the only reason your PSU has a 20x4 connector is so that it is compatible with both the old 20 pin motherboards, and the new 24 pin motherboards.

I think you should be good to go. Do you have a link to the place that told you you'd fry your board? I'm curious to read what they said...

Welcome!

Most PSUs on the market are 20+4 pin. It works with both 20 and 24, so you are good to go. And who ever said you would fry your board like that has had their brain in the freezer for too long.

You could even run 20pin in a 24pin board if it really came down to it too.

When are you building? If you can hold off for a little while, you can switch that 8600GTS with an upcoming 8800GS, which will be a lot faster for a similar amount of money.

WOW, what a relief.. lol I feel as if a rock has been lifted of my chest. haha, I was srsly freaking out.

Lejend, I dont have the link but I just googled 20+4 pin to 24 pin and got multiple forums in simple view.

Charr, do you have a time frame they'd be released or price range? I was about to build first week of Jan but put it off for the Wolfdales, and now that they're here I was about to leap into it hopefully by this week, but if its close enough I think I can wait a bit more! :)

Thnks a lot for the help guys. Other than that everything else in my build seems to be in order yes?

Last edited:
just an update, I bought it today!!! The mobo dropped in price by 10 and same with the case!

I ended up buying the CORSAIR XMS2 4-4-4-12 ram

I'll be sure to update back w/ pics etc! w00t im excited!

Back