• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i to a 780i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnm

Need advise
Should i spend 70.00 for a 680i to a 780i evga exchange.
No game pc while waiting for 680i to a 780i evga exchange.
Also blew 1 8800gt no sli since 12/28 evga closed holidays rma etc.
Spare gtx wont run in old amd pc cheap 500 blue storm shuts off on load.
Present mb 6 months old doesnt like the new intels
If new wolfdale can oc over 4100 might get one or the cheapest .045q
New quads dont like 680s
Saw two wolfdale oc on 680 and didnt look to swift.
Or Should i wait for some good sli ddr3 mb.
Always got good oc cpus from 1rst or early released batchs

well i would hold out with what you have...considering i havent seen much of any ocing results so cant really say one way or the other about doing the upgrade top 780i.

Should i spend 70.00 for a 680i to a 780i evga exchange.
In short, yes I'd say go for it. The 780i's seems to be a bit more beefier than 680i.

No game pc while waiting for 680i to a 780i evga exchange.
Well this is a given lol

Also blew 1 8800gt no sli since 12/28 evga closed holidays rma etc.
How did you blow it? overclock the shaders or RAM too far? The RAM on 8800GT's for the most part are sensitive to heat and volts

Spare gtx wont run in old amd pc cheap 500 blue storm shuts off on load.
GTX's need a good, solid PSU with at least a solid 30A on the 12V line. I doubt the Blue Storm even puts out 420W...

Present mb 6 months old doesnt like the new intels
Have you tried to update to the latest BIOS or beta BIOS?

If new wolfdale can oc over 4100 might get one or the cheapest .045q
The new Wolfdales look like very promising chips. Seems like a few people are getting 4.0-4.2 24/7 stable with ease from these chips.

New quads dont like 680s
The 680i's can run 45nm chips if I remember right. It just neeeds a bios update I think.

Saw two wolfdale oc on 680 and didnt look to swift.
Where did you see these results? The 680 has known FSB holes. It also depends on what revision on 680 board was used. The A1 or T1 model makes a difference in compatibility. Its generally known that the P35 chipsets are more high FSB friendly than the 680i chipset.

Or Should i wait for some good sli ddr3 mb.
SAVE YOUR MONEY. DDR3 is just way too expensive right now and offers very little performance improvement over current DDR2 technology. The SLI branding is just simply a marketing gimick. ANY ram can be used in an SLI system basically.

well dave you are right on the 45nm cpu support but its only the dual core's not the quads.

about ddr3, it might not offer the performance we want. in ocing though you cant deny that DDR3 would allow for way higher FSB ocs then DDR2. as DDR2 requires alot of voltage for high clocks and for 24/7 rigs thats not something you want to be doing. to me right now DDR3 is a trade off, high price for high fsb oc or low price for high voltage ocs. after me seeing micron IC's dieing at stock or oced, these are the main ocing IC's people want. if they are dieing at stock what does that tell you? i know they expect some to die but i mean if ram is run at stock it shouldnt die at all.

THANKS

How did you blow it? overclock the shaders or RAM too far? The RAM on 8800GT's for the most part are sensitive to heat and volts
Stock 650 950 I ran 720 DD wb 970 brass sinks +121cfm side fan temp idle 35c 3dmark 41c
Ran 3dmark@ 735 975 overclock the shaders @710 core oc shaders = lockups at higer core speeds.
Put in a extra hd for vista install bumped card slightly no 3d drive may have hit water block
I shouldnt have put back plates on the wb blocks too many tiny parts no visable damage to card.
When i saw some gt with out back plate on wb i thought it was dump
No back plate on gt wb sure seems a good idea some people here are so smart.
Evga sent me complete new sealed box wires etc today. running on air other card water.
7148022001200 new card mailed 01/17
7088021400834 blown card received12/01
--60000600366 could this be the amount of cards made going by serial #s
Below pc up since thankskiving 06 What a difference A1 mb made over the T1.
I guess i will strip pc on weekend and ship the 680i for 780i good investment.
Pc went from 7900sli to 1 8800gtx to sli gt only the 8800gt seemed worth it money + speed.
Thanks

Back