• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking newbee, please go easy!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msjones

Hi,

I have just built myself a computer. I intend to update as often as possible till I have an awesome machine.

My current specs are:

Intel E2140 @1.60GHZ 800MHZ FSB 1MB L2 Cache
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
Nvidia 7100GS (onboard)
2GB DDRII @ 667MHZ
500GB HDD (2x250GB Raid-0)
480W PSU
Jeantech Aqua Gaming Case

I am going to upgrade my PSU and graphics card on Monday.

I went into the BIOS on my motherboard and into the MIT (motherboard intelligent tweaker) and altered the following settings:

FSB - Memory Clock mode set to unlinked (there are 3 options: AUTO, LINKED & UNLINKED)

and changed the CPU Host Freq to 275

This set my 1.6GHZ CPU to 2.2GHZ. I dont really want to push it up anymore!

My case has a 120mm case fan at the front and I am using the CPU fan that came with the CPU.

I was just wondering if it is going to be safe to leave my CPU running at this speed with the standard fan, or do I need more?

Will this fry my mobo and chip leaving it at 2.2?

This is my first time at overclocking so please go easy please!

Thanks alot!

Matt

Well you picked a pretty poor board for overclocking. Don't expect to go much higher (maybe 300fsb) even if you wanted to.

2.2ghz is a piece of cake for your E2140. It won't damage your motherboard either so you're safe. Make sure you manually set the vcore to the lowest possible (trial and error) so you use as little power as possible while staying as cool as possible.

Thanks for the quick reply dude!

I didnt really buy it to over clock on, I only had a small budget and I wanted a cheap bored that will support an intel core quad.

you say change the voltage, in the MIT section i left the CPU CLOCK RATIO at 8x and the CPU Voltage at normal.... will this be sufficient?

and will the OC to 2.2 be ok with my current fan setup?

Thanks again

For around the same price you could of gotten a Gigabyte DS3L, which would easily take that E2140 to at least 3Ghz. You already bought the board though so too late for that.

Keep the clock ratio at 8x. It is best to change the volts to the lowest possible amount while still maintaining stability. You are fine leaving the vcore at Auto though if you have no time to test.

Download Core Temp to check your temperatures. Most likely they are fine granted you installed the heatsink properly. 2.2ghz is really nothing though, don't worry. :)

OK thanks for the help. I will upgrade the board eventually, this just apealed to me because of the HDMI port.

im going to reboot now and up it to 2.2. Is there any software that I can monitor CPU temp from within windows?

i would go with the P35 cheap gigaboard over the NV7000. simply cause you are really going to be limited on ram in that board. other boards to look at would be based on the G31/G33/Q33 boards. IMO, it would be much better to spend more on a nice board then oc the cpu a little.

OK thanks for the help. I will upgrade the board eventually, this just apealed to me because of the HDMI port.
I bought a DVI to HDMI cable this week for my sister so she can use her 42 in. plasma for her monitor. I hooked it all up and it worked great. The cable was like $12 so I got 2 day delivery for $11 and it was still cheaper than MicroCenter by $20

Am I ok to set my ram frequency in the bios to run at 667mhz? The ram I have in at them mo is DDRII 667.

Also for some reason after about 3 reboots the bored resets my over clock, am I missing something?

well if your ocing the ram to far or the settings are not right. the system will reboot that many times to give them a go, then after the last one goes back to last known good settings or stock.

in the sense your running a 1:1 ratio can oc to 333fsb and keep your ram at specced speed.

I dont really understand this overclocking business, but I am trying to get my head round it!

I have dropped my overclock down to 2.0GHZ this is ample for me really. The frequancy is 2000.03MHZ (250.00x8.0) could somebody please take the time and explain to this newbie this means?

With the above set I have left my RAM @ 667mhz, should I drop this, and if so to around what freq??

Thanks!

250 is the fsb for the cpu, so 8*250=2ghz... the divider will take the fsb then multiply it to give you, your ram speed. use cpuz and look in the memory tab to see your ram speed.

Back