• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Q6600 Build - which mobo???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I'm posting this here because I'm most up in the air about what motherboard to choose. I'm a long time AMD guy and just recently built myself a Q6600 & Gigabyte P35-DS3L combo for Folding. Now I'm looking to replace my sig rig with a Q6600 setup and need a more feature rich mobo.

Here's the run down of what I've got and plan to get.

Have

- eVGA 8800GTS 512

- HDs and Opticals

- Antec P180 Case

- TR Ultra-120

Still need

- Q6600

- Corsair 650TX psu (I need 8-pin cpu power- can't use my PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510-SLI :()

- at least a 2x1gb DDR2 kit... maybe 2x2gb. The mobo cannot be DDR3, I'm not selling my car to buy DDR3. ;)

- MOBO ??? :confused: ???

What I'm looking at (comments and other suggestions are requested and appreciated)

I'm not an Asus user... and will not start to be one, so those options are out.

I've read some good things about the Abit IP35-Pro. My concern here would be clearance with the TR Ultra-120 and the Northbridge sink.

I'm also a long time DFI user... so the DFI LP UT P35 T2R peaks my interest as well. I really like the digital PWM.

The EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 or possibly the lighter T1 version. I haven't heard good things about the 680i & 780i chipsets. I'd like to keep the possibility of maybe adding another 8800GTS 512 to the mix once everyone moves to 9xxx series cards and everyone is selling their G92 8800GTSs for cheap. :D Maybe someone could explain the issues or elevate my concerns.

Last edited:
well dont get any 680i if you want quad core ocing... you might look at 780i but i dont think it much better at ocign quads then 680i, since 780i = updated 680i. i would look at hte abit you posted as well as the DFI. others would also be gigabyte P35-DS3R,P35-DS3L,P35-S3L.

othre then that if you can wait P45 is suppose to launch soon..

Why is the 680i so bad for quads? I see a couple up for sale in the classifieds and I just don't know why everyone is saying they're so bad... really, I guess they clock like dung? :shrug:

I don't want to be on a bleedin' edge chipset or board.... so it looks like I'm sticking with P35. I already own a P35-DS3L by Gigabyte, and it's nice board. I'm just looking for something more feature rich. So depending on how I feel I'll be getting the Abit or DFI. I really like the digital PWM on the DFI so I'm leaning towards it at this point.

Will update. :beer:

yes 680i doesnt clock quads like P35 but people forget 680I came out 3 months or so after P965. it was to compete with 975x, some how people think a old chipset should be able to oc quads like the new ones..

680i is now a cheap way to get into SLI for dual cores, since they clock better on it.

+1 for the IP35 Pro. The DFI LP is a bad-arse board, but $90 more than the Pro? (AR, which I received for my -E as promised FWIW.) Might as well just pocket the extra cash and be happy you saved some money. IMHO of course.

Duly noted... I'll be ordering before the weekend is up... however, I really do like that digital PWM, opps... did I say that before. :D

Back