• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much heat does GPU add to loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickpatbrown

I am pretty happy with my set up as it is. I am hitting about 47C on Prime95 load. My GPU runs a little hot and the fan is stupid. It doesn't like to throttle up until I make it with rivatuner. I already bought the swiftech MCW 60 and the stupid copper ramsinks. How much heat will the GPU add to the loop. I'm running a

77' bonneville heater core
swiftech 655 pump
Dtek fuzion

Does anyone have data (mainly CPU temps) from before and after they added a GPU block to their loop?

I know this has been argued countless times, but does the loop order matter?

The cleanest order would be from the pump-> GPU-> CPU-> Rad. Will this dump heat from the GPU onto the CPU or does the coolant temperature equilize everything?

The obvious answer "if your happy with your set up, why change it?' is not valid. If you don't understand why I feel the need to do things to my computer constantly, than maybe you should rethink being on a forum about water cooling your frigging computer! :)

Thanks,
Ricky

Last edited:

These links are for power usage, not for thermal output. Piping 100 watts of power into a video card, doesn't mean you wil get 100 watts of heat form the GPU core (Heat is lost elsewhere on the card). I believe what the OP is asking for is the thermal output of the core.

Most of us would go with no less than a decent 120x2 rad to do a modern GPU/CPU. And have fans on med/high for sure if your pushing the OC like you know you want to:drool:.

A 8800GT or 3870(?) pumps a lotta heat.

I'll be cooling an 8800GTS (G80) and an Opteron 170 @ 3G 1.5v. I would like to avoid having to put in another radiator because everything looks so perty right now.

These links are for power usage, not for thermal output. Piping 100 watts of power into a video card, doesn't mean you wil get 100 watts of heat form the GPU core (Heat is lost elsewhere on the card). I believe what the OP is asking for is the thermal output of the core.
For all intents and purposes, all the power (watts) that go into a solid state device are converted to heat. As to how the "heat" from the GPU and other devices divide up, I'd say 90/10, though I can't cite any specific data, just my fingers.

I'll be cooling an 8800GTS (G80) and an Opteron 170 @ 3G 1.5v. I would like to avoid having to put in another radiator because everything looks so perty right now.
With that set-up there's no reason to add another rad, though you may need better fans for it! Right now I'm running two rigs off a single heater core - a pair of Storms, an MCW60 for a 7900GTX, and ~15' of 1/2" tubing. CPU temps are ~44°C for one rig and ~41°C for the other. But the fans pull 100+CFM through the heater core and it's shrouded with a 3" spacing ...

With that set-up there's no reason to add another rad, though you may need better fans for it! Right now I'm running two rigs off a single heater core - a pair of Storms, an MCW60 for a 7900GTX, and ~15' of 1/2" tubing. CPU temps are ~44°C for one rig and ~41°C for the other. But the fans pull 100+CFM through the heater core and it's shrouded with a 3" spacing ...

Meaning LOUD=100CFM.

I currently cool an Opty 175 overclocked to 2.65 and an 8800GTS on the rig in my sig. Keep in mind that a heater core is highly efficient. If you have room, put a fans and shrouds on both side of the rad for a push-pull configuration. That will help.

In my opinion, you don't need to upgrade your cooling. When gaming I max out at 46C with an ambient of 25C. Idle is 38C

I cool a Athlon X2 @ 2.84Ghz 1.5v, and a 8800GTX @620mhz with a MCR220 Rad, MCP655 pump, and 2 Yate Loon Fans pushing air through the rad.

My temps are as follows.
CPU- Idle 31c , Load- 55c
GPU-idle 42c , Load- 59c

And those temps are with both CPU and GPU completely loaded.

I'm not sure how to translate watts into temperatures. The bottom line for me is that I don't want my CPU to become unstable. If I can add the block to my GPU without the CPU temp rising more than a couple of degrees, than I'll do it.

I cool a Athlon X2 @ 2.84Ghz 1.5v, and a 8800GTX @620mhz with a MCR220 Rad, MCP655 pump, and 2 Yate Loon Fans pushing air through the rad.

My temps are as follows.
CPU- Idle 31c , Load- 55c
GPU-idle 42c , Load- 59c

Those temps are higher than I want. The 8800GTX is a space heater though isn't it?

Meaning LOUD=100CFM.
Well, yes, the fans I decided to use (since this is a temporary set-up) are VERY loud!

But 100 CFM for a pair of fans doesn't have to be loud - check these out:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=22538

And I just ordered a pair of these as case fans for my grandson's computers I'm currently building:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=22926

High CFM doesn't have to be loud anymore. :)

I still recommend at least a 1" shroud or more if you can swing it. All-thread and some 1" Al spacers should do the trick, then fill in the gap on the sides with thick paper & clear 3M shipping tape if nothing else. Personally, I use 1/8" paper-covered foam board (comes in 2x3' sheets and is often used for business presentations and indoor signs). Works great and is thick enough to provide structural support ...! :D

Last edited:
Those temps are higher than I want. The 8800GTX is a space heater though isn't it?

Well, keep in mind I have the CPU running as highly clocked as itll go, it was hitting those temps before I added the 8800GTX. Basically what Im saying is my CPU temps did not change when I added it.

And I had pretty good temp drops for the GTX as well, went down over 10c in idle and load temps compared to what it was on air.

When I added my GPU into my loop, I saw maybe a 2c increase on my processor temps. I had 3 Panaflo's and I did have to turn the fans up a little bit more, but it was not bad at all.

Back