• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga-p35-ds3l

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have an e2160 and ga-p35-ds3l

so are you telling me I can run 6x multi with 500 FSB on this setup without any problems?

i can tell you, your not gonna get much past the mid 400's with that cpu.. your gonna hit the cpus fsb wall long before the motherboard runs out a fsb steam..

i can tell you, your not gonna get much past the mid 400's with that cpu.. your gonna hit the cpus fsb wall long before the motherboard runs out a fsb steam..

That seems to not make sense, because Core 2s don't have an integrated memory controller like Athlon 64s do, AFAIK. I at least never heard of that.

With an Intel, lowering the multi should work out. Why not 500x6.0 or 500x5.5?

Thus, the following rules apply, AFAIK:

Intel=A lot has to do with the motherboard.

AMD=A lot has to do with the processor stepping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they have an on-die bus controller?

Last edited:
We have had cpu fsb walls since Core 2 was released. celeron-l 420 i have max fsb bootable is 410mhz. my E6400 is somewhere in the 480's, all i know is 480 works, 490 doesnt. thats with both cpu's being used on the IP35-PRO in sig.

the cpu fsb wall doesnt care what multi you use. there is a theroy that its tied some how to the cpus stock fsb. due to the motherboards fsb detection, in practice many have over comed the fsb wall with different motherboards. many have also done the same with PAD MOD's.

if you havent seen the ocing results of the 45nm quads those have a low fsb wall around 480's. thats why they are being delayed, some think.. how ever you slice it RJ wiether the cpu has a IMC or not the cpu can still have a fsb wall. the point at which no matter what multi you cant boot past a certian fsb. any P35 board can do 500+ as long as the voltage options are there.

i didnt know the amd's had a fsb wall, i didnt even know they could hit 500+ fsb's. looks like i need to do more reading in the xs amd section..

Last edited:
We have had cpu fsb walls since Core 2 was released. celeron-l 420 i have max fsb bootable is 410mhz. my E6400 is somewhere in the 480's, all i know is 480 works, 490 doesnt. thats with both cpu's being used on the IP35-PRO in sig.

the cpu fsb wall doesnt care what multi you use. there is a theroy that its tied some how to the cpus stock fsb. due to the motherboards fsb detection, in practice many have over comed the fsb wall with different motherboards. many have also done the same with PAD MOD's.

if you havent seen the ocing results of the 45nm quads those have a low fsb wall around 480's. thats why they are being delayed, some think.. how ever you slice it RJ wiether the cpu has a IMC or not the cpu can still have a fsb wall. the point at which no matter what multi you cant boot past a certian fsb. any P35 board can do 500+ as long as the voltage options are there.

i didnt know the amd's had a fsb wall, i didnt even know they could hit 500+ fsb's. looks like i need to do more reading in the xs amd section..

Because AMDs have an on-die memory controller, probably a wider variance.
It may act like a totally different animal just by changing the CPU stepping.

Don't Intel still use the more traditional off-die northbridge setup?

I've hit 500 fsb on my DS3L with an E6750, but I couldn't get higher than that stably. Now my DS3L is bone stock; didn't even pull the nb heatsink off and apply AS5 to it though, so I possibly could be having a heat related issue on the nb too. And yes, I will agree with Evilizer about hitting fsb walls with C2D too. And I've read that pad modding for a higher stock fsb speed can help you get past the fsb wall too, but I haven't tried it myself.

Don't Intel still use the more traditional off-die northbridge setup?
currently they do on the LGA775 socket, thats going to change when Socket B shows up late this year. Neha will bring CSI = HTT, and IMC to the 45nm Core 2 arch.

the board itself should be stable on mine at 500 without even bumping the chipset voltage or FSB. I can't really do 500 though because I am running PC6400 with loosened timings at 470. I'm pretty sure it would be stable though if i had the ram.

It is semi stble at 500 but crashes from memory I believe because memory voltage and little timing adjustments makes all the impact, but chipset voltage or CPU voltage or lowering cpu multi has no impact.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity since I'm somewhat of a novice to OC'ing. I just ordered this board to replace my dead 680i.

What OC'ing recommendations would y'all say I could hit safely with the current components:

Antec P180B Case
Antec TruPower 650watt PSU
Intel C2D e6400 w/Zalman 9500
Crucial Ballistix PC8000 (1gb x 2) (5-5-5-15)
eVGA 512mb 8800GT

What kind of voltage, multiplier, & FSB should I set for this board using those parts?

Back