• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another P5k Premium no post thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunrunner20

Masta Tweeka!
So, Whats a summary of ideas here?
I get a coupple random BSOD's. An app freezes up(might be dismissable- never used this app before) and then...
System won't post
What I know(or have done) so far:
Won't detect that video card is missing, however it notices that ram is missing if I don't put any in at all.
No bounus stuff pluged in atm- no hdd, no cd.
99.999% sure its not my watercooling- it would have fried the system by now if it was a leak.
I've tried all the ram in all the slots
Reset the cmos multipul times- yank the battery and move the header over to reset RTC.

What I am assuming:
Its not cpu because of the fact that it knows ram is missing. System should not be able to tell that if cpu is not working, right?

Any ideas?

What can go bad like that?

Ya know, anytime I had issues with a motherboard like the ones you experienced are from a slow coolant leak, which is why I went back to air cooling.

So, Whats a summary of ideas here?
I get a coupple random BSOD's. An app freezes up(might be dismissable- never used this app before) and then...
System won't post
What I know(or have done) so far:
Won't detect that video card is missing, however it notices that ram is missing if I don't put any in at all.
No bounus stuff pluged in atm- no hdd, no cd.
99.999% sure its not my watercooling- it would have fried the system by now if it was a leak.
I've tried all the ram in all the slots
Reset the cmos multipul times- yank the battery and move the header over to reset RTC.

What I am assuming:
Its not cpu because of the fact that it knows ram is missing. System should not be able to tell that if cpu is not working, right?

Any ideas?

What can go bad like that?

Sounds like the processor may have gotten fried. Sorry. :(

Errors and crashes followed by a POST failure sounds like a fried processor.

Last edited:
cpu is bad, it the sounds of it.. as the board has no wat of detecting the cpu missing, like it can for the ram. the only other thoughts is try another video card.. though its possible something happened with the ram. now after reading your sig seeing balli's, im gonna now say 80% to 90% sure its one of your ram sticks..

stock or oced ballis and other micron based ram is having issues and dieing out of the blue...try spare ram...

I'll try to find some cheapo ram...
Actually, the motherboard will know if it doesn't have ram, you will have beeps. Memory beeps.

See if you can get a different processor or if you have another board, try it in that.

I think it is the motherboard, I have yet to see a processor die like that. IDK though, just start testing.

well there are lots of posts about balli/micron based ram dieing... still even dead ram the board will not beep.. it will just give a blank screen, been there done that,Gskill HZ(micron based).

i could also say its not the board cause it beeps when no ram is in it. if the board was dead it wouldnt do anything at all.. it might act like its starting up then just shut off, there are a number of things the board could do. one would not be beeping if the ram is not plugged in.

Yea, I get a beep when there is no ram, but when the ram is in there I get nothing.
I'm finishing up on redoing the cpu...

PS: this is the ONLY equipment of this era I have access to. Anything to test with I have to buy.

If it beeps with no RAM, there is a good chance that your RAM is dead. Especially since you have the Ballistix and since it got worse over time. I withdraw my last comment.

Try some replacement RAM.

Reset your CMOS overnight and see if that helps alleviate the issue. What is the voltage on your CMOS battery? Could be a bum CMOS chip?

man at least it wasnt the cpu or motherboard that would be even worse... how many BB/CC carry computer motherboards? lol,none...

*edit*
also i had i looked at your sig more closly i would have just said ram and not possible cpu..

:) Yea, this is why I love this forum. One person can't know everything. I'm a generalist- I know a little about everything and a hell of a lot more about water cooling than anything else. Other people here however...
:beer: :beer: :beer:

THANKS!

Last edited:
Well, bought some POS ddr2... Boots clean, so time to cross send some balli

samething happens when i try to use my pc8500, some ocz platinum stuff.. the board wont post, at all, not even with other ram thrown into the mix.. but if i throw my ballistix, or my gskills in, it fires up no problem.. i rmaed one p5k because i thought the board died, i just reboot the pc one day, and it didnt come back to life.. now i just swap ram when it gets finicky.

Back