• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K with relentless BETA BIOS?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eclectic

I bought this P5K premium just before xmas. As I was helping my brother to update his BIOS (we both had P5B DLX's). So as I was lazy I couldnt be bothered to trapes round to his and do it properly. Figured Id go down the "ASUS Windows BIOS utility" then explain to him over ventrilo - Long story short. The P5B is awaiting my lazy arse to RMA it.

So great chance to leap on the P35 chipset. Now, I just check BIOS updates. they are always BETA. WTF is up with that?!

Why are they not concentrating on a stable release. Instead plugging out yet another BETA.

So the question is, has anyone tried the latest BETA BIOS? Im not really seeing an improvement on this board over my great P5B DLX.

Since I have had this board I put it to a nice stable 3.3 on my e6600 and kleft it there. Only to tweak the memory timings a little.

edit>
So my bad, I was looking at p5k3 premium D'oh. Didnt notice that little 3 hiding there.

Last edited:
im not sure where your looking at bios's. some on there bios ftp are beta's but not all of them.. if you ever flash a board with a beta bios the windows flash util is a no no.. better to burn the rom to cd and hit ALT-F2 at computer bootup/ram count. to start the built in bios flash util. they should really be making that more well known since they prolly spend more time rma'ing board due to windows flash util mess up.

Ya, was my bad. I was looking at the BIOS for P5K3premiun, not P5K premium.

But just to say, as a rule I use USB stick these days and EZFLASH.

Just my brother doesnt have a floppy drive or a USB stick. And I was too lazy to go round. But agreed. why do they support the 'doze flash utility, when it causes nothing but problems :/

Ecletec

I feel your pain, looking forward to ordering my new Maximus Formula and E8400 in a week or so...unfortunately the Maximus' bios has to be flashed to the 0907 to even recognize the E8400 or any 45nm for that matter.

I like ASUS boards...but bad to have to flash a $250 board right out of the box.

Luckliy I too have exprience flashing my current board, but I'm always scared while I'm flashing the bios..I always test by battery backup before flashing too..just in case of power failure.

...windows bios update=very bad sorry you board is dead may it r.i.p

Back