• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Asus Commando Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkjones2

just built a mid range gaming rig specs are as follows

Asus Commando MB with latest bios 1605
3 Gig Corsair ram 5-5-5-18, 1.8 VDC
6850 Conroe 3.0 ghz cpu
700 watt Psu
Nvidia GTS 8800 640 meg vid card
150 Gig WD Raptor
Zalman 9700 cpu cooler & 3 120 mm case fans

trying to watch cpu and mb temps with AS AI Suite and PC Probe from Asus and got the report of ddr2 overvolts at 2.1, checked bios and it was on auto. when i manually set the DDR2 volts to 1.8 then i get a FSB termination voltage error of 1.41 vdc.

i would like to OC this MB and cpu to around 3.3 - 3.5 and get my voltages all in line

if anyone has experinace with this MB please let me know, the book SUXS, sorry Asus i like your products but the manual isint good and the website is medicore at best.

thanks all

first thing i would try is a deep clear cmos pull power plug from wall pull battery put cmos jumper on 2-3 for at lest ten min.s and try again
Rich
btw :welcome: to the forums

Rich:
thanks for the reply, did all of that, i manually set the ram voltage and so far so good and PC probe seems to be the most accurate as far as Voltage and Temp as compared the hardware monitor in bios, what im wondering is what anyone using this MB is setting at for the 6850 chip and running stable, ill play with the freq and other setting s a bit and see what happens, i have never done any major oc'ing before so im going slow and easy.

thanks all

Rich:
it looks like i got her stable at 3.2, changed the freq to 360, and set the mem volts to 1.9, the corsiar seems happy and my cpu and mb temps seem stable in the mid 30's and 38 coming out of a 4 hour gaming run. thanks for all the help man.

Troy

We've had a Commando (and this info) since March - helped us get our 2.4 proc up to 3.6 :)
MrDeeds said:
Spread spectrum - off
PCI clock sync - 33.33
PCI express frequency - 100
DRam - 1:1 (533)

CPU Vcore - 1.45 you may need some more juice here depending on your cpu
FSB Voltage - 1.2 your fsb is still low and you dont need to crank this yet
NB Vcore - 1.35-1.5 since your running 1:1 you shouldnt need much voltage at all
Memory voltage - 2.2 4-4-4-12 you can try loosening up the timings till you find a comfortable oc for your cpu
DDRII Channel A, B and Ref voltage - all at the lowest level -30mv or something
SB Vcore - 1.5
SB Chipset Voltage - 1.05
ASUS C.G.I. - disable
Static read control - disable
Cas Latency - 4
Ras to Cas - 4
Ras Precharge - 4
Active to Precharge - 5
Write recovery time - 6
DRAM TRFC - 42
DRAM TRRD - 10
Write to Read - 10
Read to Precharge delay - 10
Write to Precharge delay - 11

CPU ratio CMOS setting - 9
C1E - disabled
Max CPUID Value - disabled
Vanderpool Tech. - disabled
PECI - disabled

Auto settings on the asus boards are more trouble than they are worth.
Set all your oc settings manually.

I have a Commando running pretty nice and stable from 2.4 to 3.4 with these settings....

ASUS CGI -off
Vanderpool - on ( won't let me turn it off, grayed out, can't even select it.):confused: Edit: Nevermind, got it off.
Spread Spectrum - off
Static Read Control - off
C1E Support - off
TM Function - off ( is this right? )
PCI-E Frequency- 100
PCI Sync - 33.33mhz
CPU Ratio - 380x9, FSB-1520 (1:1)
DRAM - Corsair XMS2-PC6400-800mhz @ PC4300-760mhz 4-4-4-8-4-25-10-10-10-11 ( any suggestions? Seems to run really stable. )
CPU Vcore - 1.5
NB Vcore- 1.4
FSB Term. - 1.35
DRAM - 2.0
DDRII Channel A&B REF - (-20mv)
DDRII Controller REF - (-20mv)
SB Vcore - 1.60
SB Chipset - 1.1

I'm open to any suggestions as well. Seems to be the best config. so far.
3DMark 06 Score is around 12,250 Edit : Just got 12,351 after installing a 120mm fan over the RAM heatsinks on the back of the card. Lowered pcb temp by 4c and idle 2d temp by 5c. Haven't measured 3D temps but i'm assuming they are lower.
PCMark 05 Score is around 8,200
I usualy idle around 27-30c, full load on TAT around 52-55c. Ambient temps are usualy 68-74f.
The Antec 900 Case is great for air cooling and taking advantage of the Commando's Heat pipes, also using the extra VGA fan mount. The Zalman 9700 is also, in my opinion, one of the best CPU heatsinks you can get. I'm using the bottle of Zalman Super Thermal Grease that came with the 9700 for both the CPU and for my HD2900XT ( stock cooler, works AWESOME with a little fan control. ) Installed a 120mm fan on the back of the 2900xt on top of the heatsinks from Zalman. REALLY helps!!!

Last edited:
Back