• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICH 9R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

I have a few questions concerning a RAID setup on the Intel ICH9R chipset pertaining to two different mobos. OS will be WinXP Pro SP2 32 bit in both systems. The mobos in question are:

Gigabyte X38 DQ6 and Abit IP35 Pro

For both mobos:
1) Is it possible to do the Intel Matrix RAID setup using USB thumb drive instead of floppy?
2) Is it possible to setup a second RAID array on the same ICH9R chipset a few weeks after installing WinXP? If not, is it possible to create two separate RAID-0 arrays during OS install using 4 drives, all on the ICH9R chipset? I plan to use 2x 80gb drives partitioned to 40gb for OS and apps and the rest for storage, and then 2x 250gb drives as one large volume for more storage.

The Giga mobo:
This mobo has its own onboard RAID ports, which use their own RAID drivers. My question is:
1) Will it be possible to add my two 250gb drives to these ports and RAID-0 them weeks after install OS? If not will I be able to install a RAID array on these ports at the same time of OS install along with the 2x 80gb RAID on Intel array?

Thanks -Jim

1) only possible if the OS allows it. Vista allows you to use a USB stick for drivers. XP does not and you either need to add the drivers to the xp install cd or use a floppy drove.
2)Yes you can set up a raid after the initial install you can either do it by using the INTEL bios options or by using the windows software.

From what I gather you will only need the drivers during the initial install if you want to install the OS to that specific raid set. All other times you can just install the drivers from within windows.

Thanks for the FAST!! answers. It seems really good except for the XP not allowing the use of USB thumb drive.

I wonder if there is a tutorial somewhere for adding the RAID drivers to the WinXP install disc?

Anybody got a link for such a thing?

Thanks -Jim

ahh slipstreaming is the key. I was using wrong search parameters. Well, I followed one of the rather complicated elongated instructions. We will see sometime in the next few weeks if it works.

Thanks to all

-Jim

You won't need any drivers while installing vista, since vista has all the ICHxR chipsets built in! So no need for usb-memory/cd/whatever for the drivers.

If you haven't already made a slipstreamed disk, you can check out nlite - a pretty easy to use program to slipstream all sorts of stuff into Windows installs. Google nlite to find it.

Back