• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old School P4C800 Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

I just got a P4C800 deluxe for some "retro" benching on old hardware. P4s, AGP GPUs, etc....

Currently the board has BIOS 1019, but there is a newer beta BIOS out listed as 1021. Last time I flashed to an Asus beta BIOS was my P5K vanilla 0805 and WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS!!!!

Anyone recall using beta BIOS 1021 for a P4C800 Deluxe?

My BIOS currently allows me up to 1.95Vcore. Dont know how, but I cant see any need to Vcore mod this board as I cannot imagine needing more than 1.95v for a P4 or Dothan. Do you agree/disagree?

I cannot find a Vmch mod for this board ANYWHERE. Does one exist?

What suggestions do experienced P4C800 deluxe users have for replacing the northbridge heatsink? Do I need to be careful because there are exposed resistors under there? The stock heatsink has a perimeter of what was once a squishy tape to protect them. When I replace my northbridge heatsink do I need to be mindful of these resistors?

Adding some Mushkin PC3500 Black level 2 confirmed BH-5 to this setup this week to make a full retro awesome bench setup for s478 :D

Any advice on P4C800, modding this board, or anything else appreciated!!

I know there is a vcore mod for it, search the forums and over at XS... I flashed the 1021 bios to my board and had no problems..

Yes I have the Vcore mod info.

Im not really looking for that since I can go up to 1.95 Vcore in BIOS......

I think the vcore mod helped make the voltage more stable, not allow for more volts. If I remember correctly, they tended to overvolt at idle, then droop under load.

What CPU do you plan to run? Northwood, Prescott, or Dothan?

Starting off with Northwoods for now, and next will likely be Prescotts.

Im not sure if I am going to run Dothans or not, since Im really not sure if I can mount a LN2 tube on top of the CT-479 adaptor or not.

I do have some Vdroop yes, and a reasonable amount (0.2-0.25V I think), but even till....that still gives me more than 1.9V total.

Or am I missing something?

I think the concern is with killing the CPU from overvolting when idle more than not having enough volts to bench. Say you want 1.725v on a Northwood to bench under load. A voltage spike to 1.925v after the bench when idle could certainly let the smoke out.

I think Prescotts droop even worse because they were never meant to run on most s478 boards. Main thing with them is making sure there's good airflow across the mobo MOSFETs. Adding MOSFET heatsinks helps too.

I think the concern is with killing the CPU from overvolting when idle more than not having enough volts to bench. Say you want 1.725v on a Northwood to bench under load. A voltage spike to 1.925v after the bench when idle could certainly let the smoke out.

I think Prescotts droop even worse because they were never meant to run on most s478 boards. Main thing with them is making sure there's good airflow across the mobo MOSFETs. Adding MOSFET heatsinks helps too.

And to correct the "sudden northwood death syndrome" or any other CPU death you are suggesting that I perform Vdroop mod and Vcore mod and instead of setting Vcore in BIOS, use the VR to dial in what I want/need?

That will be a better/safer way to use higher volts on extreme cooling?

IMHO that should provide you the best results, but considering the most extreme cooling I've ever done is water, you might wanna get a 2nd opinion from someone who has used DICE or LN. ;) lol If that's 0.025v, then try some benches with the vmods, but if it's 0.25v, then you'll probably need the vmods to control the voltage you will want to use.

I never had the overvolt problem with my Abit boards. They both drooped, but not too badly, and never overvolted. Setting 1.70 in BIOS gave about 1.67 idle & 1.63 load. That was with my 3.2C at 3.7ghz on air.

Ill check the droop tomorrowto be sure.

I think I made a typo in the previous post. Vdroop is 0.025 NOT 0.25

Idle 1.886v Load 1.862v

0.02ish :)

This board slightly overvolts when comparing BIOS Vcore to CPU-Z Vcore by a small amount, but then droops on load.

For such a popular board there is not a whole heck of a lot of black/white info out there in the databases across the net. Im quite surprised. I guess even though it was wildly popular back in the day, there must not have been as many people frequenting the forums.

Ive certainly found some good info yes, but look google P5K voltmods and you were be overwhelmed by the volume of webpages. Do the same for P4C800 and there isnt nearly a many. Same goes for alot of other P4C800 vs newer mobo info.

I think all the sticky's for this board have been unstuck & have moved way down the list. :( I know in 03-04 there was tons of info on this mobo and the P4P800. Just a matter of searching the forums archives. Try EOCF, [H], & XS too.

This forum reformated the mobo section, but hopefully all the old posts are still there.

You should probably not put the vcore above at 1.7 under load, 1.75 is Intels documented max for Northwoods.
I read that at idle it does not matter so much what the vcore is, but I would still be careful.
I think they are suppose to "droop", although some MB's do seem to droop a lot I agree. ASUS overvolts on purpose.
I have never found the need to increase the vcore much on Northwoods, but then i am not as hard core as some of you :mad: fellas

actually, 1021 is what i am running on this system; flash from bios if you can and you should be ok.

replacing northbridge heatsink didn't help any, as i remember.

do the mod for vdroop only if needed - it's a bit of a hustle.

actually, 1021 is what i am running on this system; flash from bios if you can and you should be ok.

replacing northbridge heatsink didn't help any, as i remember.

do the mod for vdroop only if needed - it's a bit of a hustle.

Hmm... You are showing a P4C800-E Deluxe in your sig, and I am running a P4C800 Deluxe. They have a separate BIOS lines. I believe 1026 is the latest beta for the P4C800-E Deluxe and not 1021.

Are you sure you have a P4C800 -E deluxe and are running 1021 BIOS?

mcoleg, I stand corrected.

There is indeed a BIOS 1021 for the P4C800-E Deluxe. It is not the latest BIOS available for that board, but the release date (9/23/05) as well as the version # 1021.005 appear to be the same for both the P4C800 Deluxe as well as the P4C800-E Deluxe.

You were absolutely correct.

Dawg, i probably just got too excited when i saw you mentioning "P4C800". those were some nice boards back in the day. still are, really.

I have a P4P800 Deluxe system I am running right now. I am running a P4 Northwood 2.6GHz @ 3.12GHz at the moment, and have been for some time now... Not sure what is considered a good OC for those procs, I just kinda threw the system together back in the day and OCed to what I could get it stable at.

I have a P4P800 Deluxe system I am running right now. I am running a P4 Northwood 2.6GHz @ 3.12GHz at the moment, and have been for some time now... Not sure what is considered a good OC for those procs, I just kinda threw the system together back in the day and OCed to what I could get it stable at.

P4G8X on air this is what I found (XP90c heatsink and a silent fan with a duct)
2.4->3.06 and 42-55C
2.8->3.19 and 38-55C
3.06 (Hacked Pentium 4 M HT)-> 3.33+ and 44-59C @ 3.33

You could get and Extreme processor with more cache and HT with that MB
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P4P800_Deluxe.html

That is exactly the proc I used to run in my current mobo, before I put the dothan in. "Once You go Dothan You don't go back".
Anyway, the max stable I got out of my 2.6c was also 3.12ghz, I could run it at a max of 3.25ghz, unstable, but some benches would complete.
Soon I will get a HD3850 AGP, when ATI sort the driver out, should get over 8000 3dmark06 hopefully. A good comparison between processors with my current Vid card was 3dmark2001, p4 gave 19500 roughly, dothan gets over 32000.

Almost forgot, flashed bios to P4P800SE, enabled pat at all speeds and few other options like extra ram dividers, 500 and 533.

cheers man. i just got a p4c800-e which if you can believe it was actually an upgrade. I was using asus p4t-e before hah. so i am right there with you pushing this hardware. picked up 2gb gskill hz's and I have a sl7b8 c0 which im going to try and do the multi trick. I also have a sl7pn e0 which I want to push over 4. just for fun. needed something to do.

Back