• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom built case, new to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Navig

Senior Case Master
Hi all,

I'm considering building my next scratch built case for watercooling.

I am completely new to watercooling, so I appreciate any suggestions.

Here are my freehand sketches for my concept:

A sort of see-thru view:

Dualradcase6.jpg

This one shows my general layout of watercooling parts. I was planning on 2 complete separate loops. One for the cpu (possible northbridge), and one for the gpu.

Here is a more surface view:

Dualradcase4.jpg

As you can see, this is going to be a double-wide case.

Here are some 2d top-down views:

Dualradcase3.jpg

And some 2d sideways views:

Dualradcase2.jpg

Dualradcase1.jpg

What do you think?

Do you think dual 2x120 radiator setup will be sufficient cooling for hi end components?

Do you think I could get away with one pump and series the loop?

Recommendations on the radiators?

Recommendations on the pumps?

As for aesthetics, I'm planning on building a complete "exoskeleton" like frame from 3/4" aluminum square tube (brushed), with inset bronze tinted acrylic panels (like so).

Thanks for any suggestions,

navig

Hmmm, I'd think 2x 2x120 RADS would be fine for that setup. Since a 2x120 would be fine for a CPU and also OK for a GPU. You really could get away with just a single loop and a 3x120mm RAD, but I guess that would throw off this whole idea. :shrug:

As for RAD/pump choices:
I'd say a good choice for RAD would be Thermochill PA120.2's (or a PA120.3)

For pumps a Swiftech MCP655 or Something like this for higher pressure:
Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo

You could also go with a Black Ice GTS or GTX. Not sure of the difference in performance, but I'm pretty sure the Thermochill is still top dog in performance.

Dual 2x120 rads will be more than enough. You really can run just one loop for what you are doing.

If you are going to make this, you need to make sure you have good tools to work with, and you really need to think of such things as wire routing and watercooling placement.

Being brand spanking new to watercooling, I honestly would advise against trying to make a custom case. There are a lot of details that can bite you unless you really plan well. And making all of the drive cages and such is a lot of work.

Hi all,

I'm considering building my next scratch built case for watercooling.

I am completely new to watercooling, so I appreciate any suggestions.
I find it interesting (and you should take it as a warning about the value of the replies you will be getting)) that you are getting suggestions about watercooling components and setups when you haven't even said what the actual components (i. e. QX6600 CPU, 8800GT, etc.) you plan to cool. Just saying "High end components" is nowhere enough information for rationally specking WCing parts.

Amazing, simply amazing!

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=20277

Voigts make a good point, that if you are new to watercooling, building your own case might not be the best way to go.

Your idea is more or less sound. If yo uwanted a case that would basically be exactly what you are trying to do, you can try finding a ThermalTake Mozart. It's practically identical to your design.

Navig...

If you are dead set on doing this, then first of all, good luck.
Secondly, study Voight's thread (here) for a smart approach to the process.

You are going to have to get very specific about the hardware in order to design a case to contain it all.

Don't forget to allow space for the tubing either...it's takes up a lot more room than many people plan for.

It would be sensible to actually build the hardware into a cheap- essentially disposable- case and then work out a design from that.

Navig...

If you are dead set on doing this, then first of all, good luck.
Secondly, study Voight's thread (here) for a smart approach to the process.

You are going to have to get very specific about the hardware in order to design a case to contain it all.

Don't forget to allow space for the tubing either...it's takes up a lot more room than many people plan for.

It would be sensible to actually build the hardware into a cheap- essentially disposable- case and then work out a design from that.

All very valid points, especially the last one.

I would like to suggest to anyone not familiar with Navig's modding skills that they first follow a couple of the links in his sig for some examples of his handywork.

As long as he is using the materials that he has so successfully used in the past, building the case will not be a problem for him.

cloker2's (another talented modder in his own right) point about getting the setup put together first in order to get a real good idea of the space requirements, then building the case around it seems to me to be the best way to approach this project.

I find it interesting (and you should take it as a warning about the value of the replies you will be getting)) that you are getting suggestions about watercooling components and setups when you haven't even said what the actual components (i. e. QX6600 CPU, 8800GT, etc.) you plan to cool. Just saying "High end components" is nowhere enough information for rationally specking WCing parts.

Amazing, simply amazing!

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=20277

Why would he need to design the case & w/c loop around the hardware in which will go in it? Is he going to spend all this time making a case and then never put other components in it? Seems to be a fairly universal setup to me. He wanted to build a case with a pair of RADS, I don't think it should matter if he's cooling a Via C7 or a 6Ghz Prescott. Obviously the easy answer here is that he could buy one of the hundreds of already built cases but i assume the point of this thread is that he WANTS to custom build a case.

Why would he need to design the case & w/c loop around the hardware in which will go in it?
Because hardware is not totally universal and the minor/subtle differences between parts can make a big difference in how everything fits together.

For a graphic example of this watch almost any episode of American Chopper.
Every week they build a custom bike and, morons that they are, fail to use the actual parts during construction/mock up.
When final buildup comes round there is usually some issue with interference with the real parts that they failed to see since they'd never actually fit them before.

With a waterloop, all it would take is moving the CPU socket location or orientation to make a loop connect elegantly or like ***.
Sometimes it's not till you see the parts installed that a better arrangement becomes obvious.

Hi thanks for the responses.

I should have mentioned, I'm new to watercooling, but not new to building cases from scratch. I've been building cases from scratch since maybe before 2000--I've won the CPU magazine cover/centerfold twice, and I've sold half a dozen scratch built custom cases.

I know a thing or two about air cooling: this is my current gaming rig, and e6600 at 3.6ghz and some sort of crazy overclocked 8800gts.

However, I really don't know a whole lot about watercooling.

Not really sure exactly what components I'd throw into there, probably a quad core, and a powerful single card gpu solution. I'm not a real fan of multiple gpu setups, as I don't really have any monitors that would require those sort of resolutions.

I do have some designs on a triple radiator case. Incorporating a triple radiator into the design above would probably throw off the proportions (thanks for the link, but I think voight's case is a little long).

Tripleradcase2.jpg

Okay so for my current dual 2x120 radiator setup:

How about this:

Petra's Laing pump -> Swiftech MCR 220 qp -> overclocked quad core -> northbridge -> Swiftech MCR 220 qp -> expensive single gpu card -> resevoir -> pump

navig

Last edited:
Honestly, sticker shock! 2 MCR220s are cheaper than a single PA120.2.

And my sense is, overkill. My feelings, the more I investigate (thanks to the links above), 2 PA120s would probably be overkill for any system I'd consider (quad core, single gpu). Unless someone with more experience disagrees.

Now, if I were to build a single loop single radiator system, I'd probably go with a PA 120.3.

I should have mentioned, I'm new to watercooling, but not new to building cases from scratch. I've been building cases from scratch since maybe before 2000--I've won the CPU magazine cover/centerfold twice, and I've sold half a dozen scratch built custom cases.

voigt's case is a little long...

I apologize. I didn't do my homework on your background. My case is long as I am constrained by the size of my desk compartment area.

Honestly, sticker shock! 2 MCR220s are cheaper than a single PA120.2.

And my sense is, overkill. My feelings, the more I investigate (thanks to the links above), 2 PA120s would probably be overkill for any system I'd consider (quad core, single gpu). Unless someone with more experience disagrees.

Now, if I were to build a single loop single radiator system, I'd probably go with a PA 120.3.

I know exactly what you mean, hence why I am going with dual MCR320 rads. Both rads were about $100 shipped, whereas the PA120.3 rads are going for $135+ shipping ea. I have a PA120.3 now that I got on a steal of a deal from DD over a year ago for only $105 shipped, or I wouldn't have bought it. But this rad is just so large that it really makes it hard to design a case around and still fit well into the desk. The agreement I have with my wife is that she doesn't care what I do as long as it "looks good" and fits within the desk, which is probably a good thing given that I would probably otherwise build a monster.

Okay, so I will keep an eye out for well priced PAs, but will settle with MCRs when I put together a buy list. I'll have to allow for the dimensions of the bigger radiator.

Looks like nice woodworking on your case--one day I hope to find the time to take woodworking classes.

I like my cases big, bold, and upfront--no complaints from my wife yet (other than "I think that's tacky" which I actually think may be a compliment). Here's my Console PC, which was actually sort of meant to hold a big screen television. As long as it fits on top of my desk, I'll use it.

Consoleinuse.jpg

Alright, now that I'm getting a grasp on my loop, I can start finalizing my dimensions and layout. The next technical hurdle will be how to join my square tubing without welding. I've got all the tools for plastic work, so that'll be fairly trivial.

I think a pair of the swiftech RADS will be just fine. Sure, you will get a little better performance out of the Thermochills, but the swiftechs will do just fine. And the price difference would be a major factor if it was me. heck, if it was me, I would just buy a pair of Black Ice Pro II's from danger den. I think they are like $35 each. or at least they were around that price when I bought them two years back.

You might consider skipping the northbridge cooling. It will just add restriction to an already somewhat longer loop (because of the dual rads). That petra pump does have some extra pressure behind it, but still I think it might be better for you to just air cool the NB. IMO. :)

Back