• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how effective is watercooling??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

lets say u turn in ur pc that has a
something similar to an
amd athlon 64 4200+ dual core, with watercooling

with watercooling what would the lowest temp be once u boot into your os?

well, that depends on what clocks/volts you are running the CPU at. And what your cooling loop is comprised of.

If you want a totally ballpark guestimation then, with a GOOD setup it is easily possible to see idle temps within a couple degrees of ambient air temp.

Whatever works for you is all that should matter. I water cool for the noise reduction and cool factor. I don't care about the best blocks or the best radiators with such and such thermal umpty squat ratings, less restriciton etc etc. Do I cool better than air? Yep. Do I have bragging rights with my temps? Nope. But, it does what I want it to do.

Last edited:
Whatever works for you is all that should matter. I water cool for the noise reduction and cool factor. I don't care about the best blocks or the best radiators with such and such thermal umpty squat ratings, less restriciton etc etc. Do I cool better than air? Yep. Do I have bragging rights with my temps? Nope. But, it does what I want it to do.

VERY GOOD POINT

OP, you really need to be more specific with your questions for people to even begin to give answers. As for me, having a quiet pc that I can overclock is a big reason to water cool.

It really is an impossible question to answer. There are too many variables involved, number one being the differences in how different motherboards report temperatures. IMHO comparing temps between two machines that do not have the exact identical parts and configuration is pointless except as a rough guideline.

Temps are most useful when used to evaluate changes you make to your rig. IE: I had a load temp of 50c and I changed my cooling and it droped to 35c or something like that.

Suffice it to say that water cooling with good gear can yield some very nice temps. You won't dip below ambient with traditional water cooling, but you can get pretty close at idle (which from your original post seems to be what you are asking).

A good watercooling setup allows you to stick any high-end parts into your machine, OC them like crazy, and maintain good temps at a quiet sound level.

I asked this same question when I though about water cooling. I had a zalman fan/hs and it was pretty decent. Pushing my Opteron 170 as hard as it could go at 2.88Ghz @ 1.475volts, I was at around 67C at peak load temperature. I lapped the CPU and heatsink and it brought it down to 63C.

After setting up my water cooling system (good pump, heatercore from a car and good waterblock) I saw about a twenty degree drop in temperatures. To me that's huge and made watercooling totally worth it.

The real world end result however, was that I could only push another 150Mhz out of my processor. For the $250 - $300 dollars I spent, I could have bought a new MB, RAM and CPU to get even better clocks and performance.

The good thing is that I won't have to spend $300 again on a cooling set up. Most of all though, it was fun to set up. It was a bit challenging=fun.

So the answer to your question "how effective is it?" really depends on your objectives. To lower temps -yes.
To reduce noise -yes (won't lower temps as well though, a highly efficient temperature removing setup is louder than an air cooled setup)
To increase your overclock - NO. It isn't very efficient at this. (But you will be able to hit slightly higher clocks. More important though, your proccesor will appreciate running at lower temps)

aha...love it.

...but i swear it was 24.257....

Did you use the Qumquat aproach to the measurment, or did you flargaggle it? If you Flarngaggeled it thats probably why you got the thousandth of a degree off.

If you use the equation

temp = (Chair x eleventy)2 / (42.9 x Q.3) - a taco

then you will come to the right conclusion.

Did you use the Qumquat aproach to the measurment, or did you flargaggle it? If you Flarngaggeled it thats probably why you got the thousandth of a degree off.

If you use the equation

temp = (Chair x eleventy)2 / (42.9 x Q.3) - a taco

then you will come to the right conclusion.

OH NO A THOUSANDTH OF A DEGREE OFF!!!!!

antipesto93 said:
how effective is watercooling??

If I remember correctly, whater cooling is approximately 10 times more efficent than air cooling.

BUT, (always that pesky but....)

With the advancement of technology over the last 10 years, I'm sure that number has decreased a bit.
ie: cooling towers, heat pipe designs etc etc.

but also water blocks have advanced too.

I water cool myself too, I use an Apogee on one machine and a White Water on another.

I really love both designs. They work very well, running 24/7 365.

Back