• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best motherboard for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daaamon

I'm quite new to building computers, and i thought it would be an interesting hobby to take up so meh, i did some research and bought a couple parts so far. I plan on making a gaming computer and overclocking my E6750 to about 3.4-3.5 ghz.

I have an 8800GT OC'd GPU, 2 gigs of pc-6400 800mhz RAM, 320GB HDD, 650W PSU, Intel E6750 core 2 duo processor, and a decent monitor and now I'd like to know what the best mobo would be for me. I've been looking at nVidia's 780i chipset for a while now, but a comment that someone said raised a flag in my head telling me that i could probably get the same performance for a lower price... I'd like to know what board would be the best for me.

I'm only planning on using one GPU, and yes it is SLI.

I'm looking to buy a decent x38 chipset... or any other board that would be good for me. Just try to keep it under $300. Thanks guys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Seem to be the most popular for a rig configured like yours. Don't bother with the 780i, they are made primarily for people with multiple GPU's. Both of the boards I listed are capable of FSB's of 500 and have many nice features. (Abit IP35Pro has a few extra features and higher quality components than the gigabyte for the extra money)

The x38's are more expensive and I honestly don't think they'd give you enough of a performance increase to justify the price difference. The P35 boards are really great if you are new to overclocking.

Thanks shiggity. I'll look into it. I'll ask the guys at frys what they think about it.

Any more input? :bday:

please dont relie on them... they are there to just sell you stuff.. i cant really say anything more since Shig has covered it..

I'm only planning on using one GPU, and yes it is SLI.

I'm looking to buy a decent x38 chipset... or any other board that would be good for me. Just try to keep it under $300. Thanks guys.

I couldn't follow whether or not you intend to use 1 card, SLI or crossfire???

What did you mean by "I'm only planning on using one GPU, and yes it is SLI."?? did you just mean that it's an SLI capable card, but you do not intend to use SLI?

Either way, if you are considering SLI you should take a look at the 780i boards by EVGA or XFX.

If you want an x38 chipset (which is for crossfire, not SLI.. and you may already know that), then take a look at the ASUS maximus formula.

but if you actually do not intend to use two cards, then take a look at the mobos already recommended

I couldn't follow whether or not you intend to use 1 card, SLI or crossfire???

What did you mean by "I'm only planning on using one GPU, and yes it is SLI."?? did you just mean that it's an SLI capable card, but you do not intend to use SLI?

Either way, if you are considering SLI you should take a look at the 780i boards by EVGA or XFX.

If you want an x38 chipset (which is for crossfire, not SLI.. and you may already know that), then take a look at the ASUS maximus formula.

but if you actually do not intend to use two cards, then take a look at the mobos already recommended
Sorry bout that, I'm saying that it is SLI capable but i do not plan on using SLI.

I need a board that is good for overclocking though;

abit IP35/IP35-pro,gigabyte P35-ds3/p35-ds3l/p35-ds3r/p35-ds4/p35-ds4

imo for features and a better price the P35-DS4, as its equal to the IP35-PRO

Back