• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

additives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mode1ne

seems like just about everyone is telling me something different about what i should add.

this is my setup...
Radiator: MCR320
Res: Swiftech Micro Res
CPU Block: D-tek Fusion
Pump: DC-3.2 /w TOP
Masterkleer Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD

what i had in mind from the start was a 1:10 dilution of distilled water, G11, and 3 drops of PTnuke. Is this the correct formula?

seems like just about everyone is telling me something different about what i should add.

this is my setup...
Radiator: MCR320
Res: Swiftech Micro Res
CPU Block: D-tek Fusion
Pump: DC-3.2 /w TOP
Masterkleer Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD

what i had in mind from the start was a 1:10 dilution of distilled water, G11, and 3 drops of PTnuke. Is this the correct formula?

You are right on target. I use fish aquarium algaecide + povidone iodine instead of PT Nuke, but the PT Nuke should work fine. And Pentosin is good stuff.

I use straight distilled water and Tygon R3400 (black) tubing.

Never seen the slightest hint of evil growth.

Distliied water, and some biocides. Or if you are crazy liek me and redo you rloop every month, just plain ole water. If you get the tygon black, or silver tubing you can just go strait distilled water too.

I run distilled water plus a little water wetter to lower surface tension. I also use the black Tygon tubing too, which helps keep the critters from growing.

AF retards the effenctivenss of water as a coolant.
AF is more viscous than water so adding lots of AF will hurt the flow rate.

I use silver tubes = no need for additives = maximum efectivness. :)

Surface tension can be lowered with a drop of soap or water wetter. Just remember algae thrive of these kind of ingredients.

What ingredients you add is up to you....

Last edited:
You guys should also clarify for us the final concentration...

Three drops of iodine doesnt tell me much. Three drops of iodine in a loop with only 500 ml of water might work. But the kid might use a fishtank for a res and he will add three drops and see growth the next week.

Careful using ingredients that lower surface tension... they usually premote the growth of algae.

Where can one pick up this wonderfull PTnuke you all talk so highley of?!?!?! :D

Also, if i get the FlUIDxp+ and its uv green, will i get any better of a glow adding some more uv reactant?? or is it a matter of brighter uv cathods?

Unless the iodine evaporates or is bound, the constant exposure would kill living creatures.

so, A few drops per liter is good. I overdo it and have about a dozzen- its not enough to see after the ~10% AF I have in my loop.

Most things biological are like LD 50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of the population) and MIC (minimium inhibitory concentration). Even with things like antibiotics there is a dose that does nothing and there is a dose that kills.

My theory would be iodine works by binding to the cell and killing it, and it will remain bound to the cell even though it is dead. Thus the iodine that is bound to the dead cells cant actively go about kill new living cells. ie the effect eventually wears off.

Most things biological are like LD 50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of the population) and MIC (minimium inhibitory concentration). Even with things like antibiotics there is a dose that does nothing and there is a dose that kills.

My theory would be iodine works by binding to the cell and killing it, and it will remain bound to the cell even though it is dead. Thus the iodine that is bound to the dead cells cant actively go about kill new living cells. ie the effect eventually wears off.

so what do you do?

You add enough to kill everything that Is initially in the loop. After there is very little in the way of contact with the outside world. So, the iodine that is bound to the dead stuff, but there is extra iodine to kill anything that was left.

PS: I tried to look up iodine toxicity but could not find it. I'll talk to my biology professor at school.

Or... Keep the tubes out of sunlight. DO not expose them to Tap water or any other contaminates. In order for "critters" to grow they need something to eat. For algea, thats sunlight. And for bacteria, thats going to be the algea. If you kepe the algea from growing, you minimize the chance of bacteria.

In fact, the more chemicals, and addatives yo uadd in, the more "fuel" yo uare giving to bacterias.

I say Distilled wate,r lageacide if you need, other wis,e just keep it out of the sun light.

the main reason i wanted to add some pentosin was for the color. It makes the exact blue i wanted.

Other than im not too worried about corrosion. As far as i know my setup has no aluminum.

Back