• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change FSB voltage and frequency based on CPU load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LumberJack87

I'm planning on overclocking one of the new Yorkfield Quad cores (probably Q9450) when they're released, and since I don't want an extreme serries, I'll have to do this by raising the FSB clock and voltage. I know that the power saving technologies on Intel CPUs lower voltage and multiplier when the CPU isn't under high load, but scale back up when the added power/performance is needed.

My question is; is there a way/technology/chipset/motherboard that allows similar scaling down (or up) of the FSB clock and voltage depending on CPU load in order to save on power, heat and wear, but still opperate on an overclock? If there is, can it be done with hardware/BIOS, because I understand software dynamic/on-the-fly overclocking is not too stable and not such a great choice. Thanks in advance for any replies, cuz I've been looking quite a bit for info on this.

Back