• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change FSB voltage and frequency on-the-fly based on CPU load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LumberJack87

I'm planning on overclocking one of the new Yorkfield Quad cores (probably Q9450) when they're released, and since I don't want an extreme serries, I'll have to do this by raising the FSB clock and voltage. I know that the power saving technologies on Intel CPUs lower voltage and multiplier when the CPU isn't under high load, but scale back up when the added power/performance is needed.

My question is; is there a way/technology/chipset/motherboard that allows similar scaling down (or up) of the FSB clock and voltage depending on CPU load in order to save on power, heat and wear, but still opperate on an overclock? If there is, can it be done with hardware/BIOS, because I understand software dynamic/on-the-fly overclocking is not too stable and not such a great choice. Thanks in advance for any replies, cuz I've been looking quite a bit for info on this.

the only software that allows to change based on load is crystalcpuid... what you want just isnt possible right now... intel has plans for auto ocing cpus in neha, in which if only one core is used on a quade. that one core will be oced vs if all 4 were working then all 4 would be at rated speed. EIST lowers the cpu at idle then futher with C1E but the problem with C1E state is that the voltage get way to low. cause 1 the cpu is oced and requires more then 1volt to be stable even with a multi dropped to 6x. the closest thing to what you want to do is with Crystalcpuid and its stable.. using it to underclock my n4l-vm rig with mobile cpu.

thanks for the tip, I suspected it might be a hardware limitaiton (otherwise why wouldn't everyone be doing it or talking about it).

What about the software, "RightMark CPU Clock Utility 2.30.1"? Reading what it says on its website, it seems it can perform similar functions? Am I interpreting it correctly, and has anyone used it or know if it's any good?

I'm assuming the best thing to do, since software is involved, is to OC the CPU in the BIOS like I would normally, and then just use the software to limit/downscale it when it dectects it's idle? Is it reasonable to think that doing this won't really affect the performance of the systems maximum overclock? Thanks in advance again.

if you disable the EIST/C1E in bios and let the software via windows do it it wont affect yoru oc. as it will increase the multi as needed per loading of the core. like you can do it based on%'s, say like at lowest cpu speed the core gets loaded to 50%. that at 50% say you set it to jump the multi to 7 or 8x to increase speed a little. then when the core sees 100% it goes back to full speed.

i never saw that util, i might have to take a look at it..

Back