• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood LN2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

First go around tonight with LN2 on the P4C800 and a 2.8 Northwood after playing around with air the last day or 2.

Didnt really get very far with regard to in depth benching with different benchmarks. Wasnt really going to go heavy into Spi/Wpime/Pifast until my BH-5 arrives. The memory I currently have is pretty bottom barrel PC3200 stuff. Wont overclock AT ALL either. Guess back in the day of this board Crucial wasnt a big memory player yet.

P4 Northwood 2.8 Ghz @ 4.376 Ghz.

Just the CPU-Z screenie until I get my BH-5 which should be soon! A few questions though....

On hwbot there are 3 different 2.8 Northwoods. 1 I can eliminate as the same as mine since my multi is locked at 14, and the Northwood in question on hwbot is 21. Between the 2 that are left, I see screenies on both that look similiar with same revisions/etc.... 1 is called a plain-jane P4 2.8 Northwood, and the other is a P4 2.8 Northwood HT. In my BIOS I have an option for HT under CPU, and it is enabled.

Does this mean that I absolutely have the HT 2.8 Northwood? Is there any other way to tell for sure?

Also, regarding CPU/Mem benches on this board......I have a variety of REALLY good BH-5 coming to me. I can either run 4 X 512 of Mushkin PC3500 Black level 2 BH-5, or I can run 2 X 512 Teamgroup Extreme DDR 500 mhz WITH a ram booster such as an OCZ booster, or I can run 2 X 512 of the Mushkin PC3500 with the ram booster. I dont know much in detail regardintg the Teamgroup Extreme memory, but its coming from Maxi and he says its good. Really good in fact.

Im going to try all options, but which scenario should play out the best?

Is there any real benefit to adding the addional 2X512 of ram or does it all really come down to ram mhz and timing?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I never ran one of these chips seriously, in fact there's a thread around here somewhere of me begging for help :D

For sure you'll do best on (2 x 512), these boards we're not capable of benching with all slots populated. Good work doc :beer:

You have a C Step probably, thats HT enabled, then HT it is.
Nice chips too, my old 3.4ee at 4.995 was short lived, but got nothing out of it past 1.8v till I cleared 1.98v or so. Then got bout 45 more fsb. Don't do it though, cause once you reboot it normally doesn't wake back up.

If its really the 2.8 Northwood with HT, shouldnt it say so in the CPU-Z validations screen?

It shows MMX, SSE, and SSE2 but it doesnt mention anything about HT.....

Shouldnt it?

Nice DawgDoc!
Looking forward to seeing some more. I don't recall seeing too many s478 motherboard running over 300mhz with anything other than a 2.4C in them. CPUZ says one core & two threads, that's hyperthreading. ;)

Maxi, my IC7-G gaming rig ran great with 4x512mb in it. I had OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev 2 TCCD at 242mhz 2.5-3-3-5 with my 3.4E at 4.1ghz. I agree that benching with 2x512 is better though, especially with BH-5. My 4x512 BH-UTT didn't overclock nearly as well (AI7 w/ 3.2v dimm in BIOS) as the TCCD.

in the screenie it shows 1 core and 2 threads. that means ht is enabled.

MAGIC :D

That means this is the #1 CPU-Z shot for this chip on hwbot.

Got the #1 Spi 1M with this CPU last night as well even without my BH-5.

The non-HT Northwood I was switching beween spots #2 and #3, and #1 was a good bit ahead of the rest.

That would make sense though, since when I was playing with Spi I went to see what would happen with a single core CPU if I tried to change the core affiniity, and it showed 2 cores. I didnt even think about it again until now and was planning on researching what that was, but now it starts to make a bit more sense.

Nice :D

You have a C Step probably, thats HT enabled, then HT it is.
Nice chips too, my old 3.4ee at 4.995 was short lived, but got nothing out of it past 1.8v till I cleared 1.98v or so. Then got bout 45 more fsb. Don't do it though, cause once you reboot it normally doesn't wake back up.

Errr.........doh.

That screenie above had the BIOS Vcore maxed out at 1.95v, and CPU-Z actually showed an overvolt of about 2.02 or 2.03v I think :)

Ahhh well.......these CPUs are only costing me $8-$25 each so what the heck right :D :D :D

Back