• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice first build (Thermaltake Armor case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

filschaos

Hey guys, just found this forum and I've been loving the info! I've used a cheap closed loop water cooling kit before, which sucked of course but it got me hooked on the idea.

I'm trying to plan out a build here for the next couple weeks but I need some advice. My first goal is efficiency and reliability, and I'll need to run quiet at least some of the time though I would like speed controlled fans so I can kick it up for OC fun when I need to. I also need something that I can move and even tip if necessary, so no tupperwear reservoirs. Heres what I'm looking at so far:

Laing D5 pump $77
Dtek Fuzion waterblock $70
Blackice Extreme 2/3 radiator <$65

First question: for radiator placement, I am looking at putting it in the front bays of my thermaltake armor case. Can anyone confirm if the 3x-120mm version BIE will actually fit? I can fit 3 of the actual fans ok if I only have 1 drive installed, with more than 1/4" clearance on either side of the fans. Also if it fits, will blowing the slightly heated air through the radiator and straight into my case have a significant impact on temps? I don't mind a degree or two because its such an elegant design, but if it wont fit or is gonna hurt my performance to much I could always mount it hanging off the back of case.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good reservoir that wont leak/move when tipped, and speed controlled fans or fans with a good speed controller? Or is the reservoir more trouble than its worth? I would like one because I hope to run without having the check fluid levels to often.

And last question (bear with me guys lol), what else am I going to need so I don't overlook anything when I order? Tubing, arctic silver, 2 shrouds with 4/6 fans, hose clamps, teflon tape, and coolant? Thanks a ton!

:welcome: to the forums!

A 3x120mm fan sized radiaotr will fit, leaving you two drive bays open. One for an optical drive and one for the "power" caddy.

Setting the fans ot blow into the case will be fine. You really won't see much if any increase in system temps from doing so.

If you really want to use a res, there are some reall ycool EK res's that you can purchase or a swiftech Microres.

You won't need shrouds with that radiator.

Also, with that large of a radiator, have you considered water cooling your graphics card(s) as well?

Back