• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-Deluxe 1226 BIOS - "support N/2 ratio option"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

esveezy

Registered
From the site:
---------------------------------------------------------
P5B Deluxe BIOS 1226
1. Fix CPU ratio will not reset after load BIOS default
2. Enable support for N/2 Ratio option
---------------------------------------------------------

It is #2 I am curious about. Is this saying I will be able to run my RAM at half FSB speed? So my wonderful cheap G.Skill PC2-6400 wouldn't bottleneck one of the new 45nm @4+ghz??

Has anyone tried this BIOS? Worth the update? I think I use 1216 now.

pc2 6400 is ddr2 800 or 400mhz

to run a 8400 at 4ghz you need 445 so your am needs to run at 445 1:1 for 445x9

its not a question of bottlenecking its a question of if it only does 400mhz you'll be reaching 3.6ghz. Depending on the memory it should be good for a puney 45mhz overclock.
If you post your memory model # there's a million people around here that could tell you what you can expect out of it.

yeah "bottlenecking" wasn't quite the word. I mean that I expect my RAM (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) would hold me back my OC on an 8400 with my P5B-Deluxe using just a 1:1

Do you by any chance know about the "N/2 ratio option" thing?

I'm not seriously considering a CPU chage - my X3210 is fine. But further searching has revealed that:

1.) My P5B-Dlx only allows trfc timing up to 42 cycles
2.) G.Skill 2GB modules usually want 42 cycles OR MORE, even at stock speeds

In other words, I am likely to already be on the edge of what those modules can do with my mobo. *sigh* More volts may be my only option.

On the plus side, it looks like the faster G.Skill 2GB modules I considered like the same big trfc, so my max OC isn't being limited by not having spent the extra $20, which I was afraid of.

Anyone know of a way to increase my TRFC past 42 on a P5B-Deluxe?

Back