• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3L ram probs... help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK heres the deal i just bought and poped in my DS3L, but it for some reason doesnt like one of my ram sticks. both are EXACTLY the same, same part / model everything (they are ddr2 533mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8) It likes one stick perfectly fine, i was actually able to get into windows on the old install that was on the hd.. I thought it might be the slot so i put the liked ram stick into the other yellow slot and it worked just fine....

Im pretty sure its not the ram cus i was just using it in my old board on my htpc, and i had preveiously had it in my P5Wdh for testing. gah i dunno what to do!

Ben

EDIT, i even tried upping the voltage and loosening the timings in the bios with the single "good" stick, then sticking the unliked stick in and no go....

EDIT2 might it be the fact im running a 20pin atx psu instead of a 24?

EDIT 3... ok well seems like the stick is actually dead... my DS3L booted with my gskill's just fine, and the same thing happend with the problamatic ram in my p5wdh... one stick worked the other refused to boot... gah i dont get it this ram was working perfecly fine in my crapola ecs mobo. maybe ill have to set that mobo back up real quick.

Last edited:
OK confimed its the single ram module.... i have no clue how long its been dead as the older ecs mobo that they were in had no problem running with one good and one bad stick... and i never checked before how much ram was actually available.

so in other words

THE GIGABYTE DS3L ROCKS, there are 0 problems with it and good ram haha.

ur gonna laugh but it was free...

its DDR2 533mhz 1.8v 4-4-4-12 huyndai (ya like the car maker) ram... i got 2 512mb sticks....

Honestly i think i probably skrewed it up by ocing them on my p5wdh bout 3 months ago. I was running them at ddr2 800 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v with bare chips (did have decent airflow) either that or when i took em out today i threw em on the anti static bag that came with my DS3L... and possibly shorting something out. (capacitance effect?) ... either way the ecs crap mobo (PT890T-A) works with both sticks in but intermittantly sees the full 1024mb, and it only worked once in my testing alone in the board.

W/e it was free ill just grab a frys dealio or something, 2gb would be better anyways.

Back