• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5KC - Minor Boot Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Budfrog

This is not a major issue but as the M/C is a new build I would like to sort it out.I am currently running dual boot OSs with Vista Premium and XP Pro. Probably once every 7 or 8 boots the system hangs on the Windows boot screen (which appears very faint) for about 45secs before continuing to boot normally. This occurs on Vista or XP Pro and from when the M/C is cold or has been running. Once into the respective OS the M/C runs like a dream.

The system is:

Mobo: Asus P5KC Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Running at 9 x 333, CPU Voltage 1.3125)
Temperatures on full load typically below 52 degrees Celcius
HDD: Samsung 500Gb (Sata)
DVD Drive: SamsungMemory: 4 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 (800Mhz) 5-5-5-12 1.9v(All memory specs manually input into BIOS)
Power Supply: Corsair HX 520w
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD3850 PCIE ATI 256Mb

Just a quick update as I received the followinf from Asus technical support:

Dear Valued Customer,

Sir, the problem could be caused by the memory you are using. As Windows 32bit systems can support up to 4GB memory at most, but might be unstable when running full 4GB memory. I recommend you remove one or two memory sticks for a try.

Sincerely and best regards

As you may imagine I was not impressed with this reply, so I've shelled out for a Mobo which will not support 4Gb of good quality memory.

I proceeded to run memtest and sure enough my memory failed. Decided to up the memory voltage in the BIOS to a meagre 2.0v (range is 1.8v-2.2v) and sure enough the memory passed memtest.

Not sure yet if it has cured my Boot issue but am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd agree with what the guys at Asus have said .. If your two OS's are 32bit then your problem is likely caused by running 4GB of RAM .. I had the exact same problem (although with only a single booting OS .. 4GB of RAM and a 32bit OS .. Fine one moment then very unstable the next ..

Back