• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling HELP! (thnx)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdRx

I'm building a new computer - completely new to this whole "water cooling" idea, it sounds really "cool" and effective. I've been researching, and I am not a pro at building computers, but I know quite a bit.

Need some Help:

I don't want to spend a fortune on a video card so I have decided to go with 2 MSI 8500GT OCs and SLI them, and then maybe OC them further later on if needed.

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127295)

First of all, is this a decent setup for the price? Second of all, I've been having trouble finding a water block that can fit the GPU on these puppies, any pointers?

Any help would be appreciated,

-mdRx

Is this video card able to have a water block put onto it?

You'd be better off going with a single ATI 3850 or an 8800 GT. Once you factor in the cost of TWO water blocks, + ram sinks, it would be the sam eprice if not cheaper to go with the single card. And the single card will blow away an 8500 gt in SLI.

You'd be better off going with a single ATI 3850 or an 8800 GT. Once you factor in the cost of TWO water blocks, + ram sinks, it would be the sam eprice if not cheaper to go with the single card. And the single card will blow away an 8500 gt in SLI.

i second that.

though the swiftech MCW60 will fit the 8500GT, or should as it fits the 8600GT which has the same mounting holes i believe.

Okay, so I guess the concensus is fudge the 2 8500GT OCs (even though I've read these cards aren't bad for the price) and go with a higher end card such as the 8800GTS.

Is running SLI cards not a great idea? Is it not as effective as running the 8800GT per say? I would think using 2 cards as one (splitting the load) would be alot better and more effective overall, but I could be wrong - I'm not gosu at building computers ; ) .

OC Forums Rocks,

-mdRx

P.S. Thanks for replying!

The 8500 is a great budget card if you just want a card that will be a good non gaming display.

The 8800gt is a performance gaming card, and is FAR beyond the capabilities of an 8500, two 8500s couldn't touch the redering power of a single 8800GT.

Any idea on the pixel pipelines for both the 8500 and 8800?

Thanks Jas, I'll probably go with the 8800 GTS - sounds like the best deal.

You won't be disapointed. Oh, and the 8800gts overclocks like a monster. You'll have fun with that card.

Make sure it's the 512mb version.

i believe it's also a problem with sli(drivers) that it doesn't work as best it could which makes the 2 lower end cards vs one high end card a bad idea.

Okay! Now we got the question for the video card out of the way, on to the OP's question.

What are you going to cool? CPU/GPU/NB? And/Or multiple GPU?
Will you OC the Q6600 (or whatever) and the GPU to the max? It makes a BIG diff in watts needing removed from the components.
What is your ambient room temps on a normal warm day? In C only pls
What is your tolerance to loud fans? Makes a BIG diff in radiator costs, $70 vs $140 for the same size.
What are you willing to spend? Under $250, forget it mostly, starts getting good at $400+
What case are you planning to use? Big?
Are you opposed to putting a fat assed 120x3 radiator outside of your case?
Are USA or some other fine place to live (cost/suppliers)?

Now we are ready once these questions are answered. Actually, if these questions were stickied..... Stickied....

I'm most likely going to be cooling an "Intel E6750" CPU and an "NX8800GTS 640M OC."
On a normal warm day my room temp is between 28C and 30C.
This is the case (with 550W ps) I have bought just recently that I am going to be using for WC.

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1215768&Sku=ULT31824)

Water Pump: (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...version_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s155#blank)

I haven't decided on which radiator to get yet (sizing issues for case, not sure how to mount or where to mount radiator to case, etc).

Fan noise doesn't really bother me (I play music and games loud to over power the pc noises). I'm really open to rigging my case any way I can to make sure its most effective as far as cooling is concerned. The amount of money I want to spend on cooling is around $300-$400 total.

Thanks for the help,

-mdRx

Look around online some more, you can find better prices than at frozen cpu.

BTW, get the 512mb version of the GTS.

So your room is pretty warm. You'll need at least a Thermochill PA 120.2 with good fans or another rad brand 120x3 with good fans if your gonna OC, and we know you will!

Look in the stickes here and on xtreme forums for rad performance, flow rate charts, wattage calculators etc.

Back